GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 29, 2024, 11:10:22 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Laboratory 90222  (Read 23693 times)

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
Re: VC's Laboratory 90222
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 10:48:23 am »

Hehe not dissing... I'm not saying I am a better player than I am (my e-balls are sized according to my skills) but I was having a bad case of lagging that day and caves didn't help either. Of course it is normal to be killed by you over and over again, I was kind of enjoying it and trying to score a kill, although Beta 3.1 achievements aren't out yet... ;)

In fact, it may seem strange but the ping you were getting on that server, which was about 130ms or so, was what I was getting on the WN server, where I usually get 45~50.

Nevertheless, I count on you to solve the jumphax problem. I think TF2 suffers from a similar problem too, with the hitboxes floating around the players instead of sticking to them

WNxBIGBIRD

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • WNxBIGBIRD has no influence.
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2009, 01:12:57 am »

No apology needed VC, I know it can get frustrating. Reminds me of a few games I was playing tonight. I saw the client side blood, but the target did not drop dead. It took about 3 hits to finally dispose of em, which needless to say, I finally left the server.

However it will be interesting to see how this all plays out in the future with it fixed. I assume that people will be finding getting frags with the golden gun and the other assortment of weapons, will be much easier.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2009, 01:18:37 am »

Not fixed soon, apparently.  I'm being given the 3.2 vibe and I'm not happy about that.

I wish the callback for changing a player model worked.  L&LD kinda sucks when it's Bond as the villain.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2009, 01:48:48 am »

You all have to realize that ALL valve games suffer from this problem, the only difference is that none of these games have a one-shot kill gun so you very rarely notice hit reg issues because you are throwing enough lead down the pipe that at least one of them will hit properly. No one reports disgust with the Golden PP7 because its easy enough to place another shot (also its not a guaranteed 1 hit kill).

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2009, 01:56:04 am »

No one reports disgust with the Golden PP7

I do.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2009, 02:03:43 am »

You report disgust with everything ;)
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

UnKnown-Pain

• Secret Agent
  • UnKnown-Pain has no influence.
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2009, 09:35:44 pm »

The comments do not look promising.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 03:08:58 am »

I'm upset, for sure.  For the double play, the LUA updates I've needed for L&LD aren't being copied over, so I can't even hope to release it upon completion, instead waiting on the patch that fixes the jumps and half of the Klobb easter egg and etc.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2009, 05:12:34 am »

There is no hit reg issue, its called online play.

GES alpha 1.1 was possibly 5% worse hit conditions as this. If an improvement on great/fair hit reg is not good enough for you, you are not good enough to play a valve mod. Enough said.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 07:26:20 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2009, 06:27:07 am »

And people say I tend to engage in e-dick waving.

Alpha 1.1 was pretty much the same. The only difference in the AuG scenario is that you take a lot more damage when a shot doesn't reg and you can't replenish the armor.  In LTK, the much-looser weapons meant you always expected to spam.  But now that bullets go where you point them, you don't have a cushion of two or three likely-misses from your opponent when you get a no-reg and he doesn't.

And I'm pretty confident it can be improved.  Valve is well-know for stopping at good enough.  They stopped at good-enough-for-HL2 and we've been cleaning up ever since.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2009, 07:13:40 am »

Its not dick waving. Its people being silly and me feeling need to step in to clear things up. Basically it means they can get shittier scores than their skill would be on LAN and blame it on us. Instead of learn to play in ping and understand its not perfect.

You are most certainly guilty of being a pure asshole when you have ping, i dont need 20 VC clones running around complaining and the team shouldnt want that either when its not our fault.

edit: Im not trying to block hit-reg from being adressed, it will anyway. Im trying to say I dont feel it necesary that the community bands behind your logic and can then say "oh i missed, must be hit reg" or it could be :

A) your net is shit
B) you are in denial you are shit, and now have a mystery excuse
C) shit happens with ping differences

All those is not a reason to come complaining to Team Goldeneye: Source
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 07:24:13 am by Wake[of]theBunT »

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2009, 09:26:19 am »

Play on better servers, get a better Internet Connection, stop complaining, play the game or play LAN. Either way, you (guys) are nit picking over the slightest things, in which we have no control over. Unless you can come up with a method to where LAG is no longer an issue in multi player games, well than I suggest you just deal with what we can do.

I'm not trying to be rude, but it just seems alot of people are expecting us to fix all the things that are problems in modern day multi player games.
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

Bui

• Agent
  • Bui has no influence.
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2009, 11:35:43 am »

To be fair, he did mention seeing blood. I think it's pretty clear that you should've hit if you see blood. I can see where he's coming from. It's not "oh, I missed, must be hitreg," it's "oh, there's blood but no death, god damn hitreg."

Ping only starts to matter after a certain point (granted, it's a relatively low threshold). When things are or aren't happening and ping is low, what else do you call it?

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2009, 11:38:41 am »

Unless you can come up with a method to where LAG is no longer an issue in multi player games
Play round time based strategy games.

steven_m64

• Insane Coder
  • Secret Agent
  • steven_m64 has no influence.
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2009, 02:26:00 pm »

To be fair, he did mention seeing blood. I think it's pretty clear that you should've hit if you see blood. I can see where he's coming from. It's not "oh, I missed, must be hitreg," it's "oh, there's blood but no death, god damn hitreg."

Ping only starts to matter after a certain point (granted, it's a relatively low threshold). When things are or aren't happening and ping is low, what else do you call it?

seeing blood means jack squat.

Source/hl2 (and other modern FPS games) uses networking systems that employ PREDICTION and LAG COMPENSATION to smooth gameplay and make the game look correct to the players.

but with lag compensation and prediction what you see and what really happen can be quite different at times, such as the blood sprites showing hits.
what you see is what your computer thinks will happen when you fire at that moment, so you may see a blood splat and impact but on the server end you may not have actually hit so then you yell at your monitor pointlessly "OMG F"ING HITREG"

with a 250ping it takes 1/4th a second for your fired shot to be sent to a server then another 1/4th a second for the result of that shot fired to be sent to you.
so without prediction you would have to wait a full half second to actually see your shot fired.

be aware also that the faster and more frantic a game is the worse the registration and prediction will get.

Prediction is just that prediction and a computer is not any better at telling the future then you or i can.

those who don't have A.D.D or A.D.H.D can read into how it all actually works:
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 02:33:10 pm by steven_m64 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up