GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 28, 2024, 11:28:19 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Legality issues?  (Read 6890 times)

f0rkz

Legality issues?
« on: February 22, 2009, 01:12:16 pm »

Hey everyone, just wanted to say, awesome mod!

I have a few people asking about this game in our community, but we are a little concerned about this game's legality.

Did you guys get permission from Rare/Nintendo before creating the mod?  I know in the past MGM took the legal hammer toward several Stargate Mods.

I just want to know if you guys have had legal problems with this mod?  If not did you get some sort of permission from the head haunchos, or does this mod not violate any laws I can think of?

Thanks for the response! We would love to get something going soon.

coolDisguise

• GoldenEye fan
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 12
  • coolDisguise barely matters.coolDisguise barely matters.
Re: Legality issues?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 03:03:53 pm »

Unfortunately, I do not know, whether they had any permission, but since there is no GoldenEye-remake for X-box or Wii just because of split copyrights, I guess there won't be any problems by Nintendo or Rare. (furthermore it's a free mod, not commercial and also other GoldenEye mods didn't get banned yet)
(note: this mod has already been around for quite a while)

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 03:34:30 pm »

We did not seek permission to make the mod. It is a fan recreation made for no profit. So at the moment we believe we are going to be left alone. Its been 3 years of releases in the public, so i think that is a good yardstick that we won't be hounded to cease producing the mod.

We also will likely never be supported though on the flipside, since the money tied up in rights would need to spread among at least 3 companies making goldeneye property a nightmare.

I have a few people asking about this game in our community, but we are a little concerned about this game's legality.

What community? Its not like anyone of our fans is doing anything illegal downloading and playing GoldenEye: Source. Its just a mod for free on source engine. No harm intended
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 03:36:11 pm by Wake[of]theBunT »

f0rkz

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 03:46:33 pm »

f7lans.com

The concern was more of a, if we get people hooked will the mod get pulled all of a sudden.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 05:15:16 pm »

HAHA download NOW then, populate the servers, proliferation on the internet = survival no matter what.

Don't worry about us, we can handle our own, we *did* seek permission at some point about 2 years ago and it was left unsettled and the impression from any reply we DID get was... don't sell it and we won't care

f0rkz

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 05:40:09 pm »

Thats all we need to know! :)

Thanks guys.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 06:40:21 pm »

The only thing this mod might be doing is increasing the sales of Valve's games, more specifically the ones that have the Orange Box version of the Source engine. Rare should ask Valve for a cut of the profit though.

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 06:45:27 pm »

It is due to the this issue that we are careful not to accept any donations or anything else that would make it seem like we are profiting from the mod.
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up