GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 19, 2024, 01:33:16 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can we shoot out the lights?  (Read 14979 times)

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
Can we shoot out the lights?
« on: November 30, 2008, 07:35:02 am »

I was recently playing Goldeneye 64, and on the Cavern level, I noticed that you could shoot out the lights. In doing this though, it did not effect the area, but instead it made said light darker.

Would it be possible to make it so you could shoot out the lights, and make it effect the area (Remove the lighting, make it darker, harder to see). A prime example of this would be in Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, where you would constantly shoot out the lights, in the hope of finding ammo or secret files; but in doing so, you would make it harder to see the enemies.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: Can we shoot out the lights?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 04:35:22 pm »

That's up to the mappers. I know Caves currently has dynamic lights, and frankly I don't like them at all.  They damage performance and distract from the combat.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 05:15:46 pm »

That's up to the mappers. I know Caves currently has dynamic lights, and frankly I don't like them at all.  They damage performance and distract from the combat.

same

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 05:20:05 pm »

There's a limit of how many on/off lights there can be in one area. A brush face can only have 4 styles, so that limits it to 2 unique lights that have on/off states (on on) (on off) (off on) (off off). If you control lights to all go off/on at once, by naming them them the same, the lights will act as one unqiue group so that's how caves is able to turn off a bunch of lights at one.

The problem with on/off lights is that they are direct light only, and provide no bounce light. A light pointing straight down won't bounce up and illuminate the ceiling, so the ceiling will probably be blacked out. This makes things ugly
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 05:53:18 pm »

I was recently playing Goldeneye 64, and on the Cavern level, I noticed that you could shoot out the lights. In doing this though, it did not effect the area, but instead it made said light darker.

Couldn't this effect simply be recreated by having a sprite near the props and an on/off skin for the prop?

There could be an I/O connection so that when the prop gets shot, the light goes out, and the sprite disappears. (Then turns back on after a while)
Of course, this would be completely unrealistic, because the light would be out but still illuminate the area, but it could work for some of the classic maps.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • PeskySaurus is looked down upon.
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 06:14:04 pm »

Is Source really so primitive of an engine you can only have two on off lights? HAHAHA. I've never worked with source myself, but I could EASILY create the scenario the OP is talking about in Doom 3 with little performance hit on modern computers. I will do it right now if you want.

EDIT: I know I sound like I'm being a dick, but I'm not trying to, I'm simply stating a fact. Tying a shootable "light source" to an ACTUAL engine light source is ridiculously simple, and I could do as many as I want, end of discussion. I don't know anything about the Source engine, this is in Doom 3. I don't understand what would be difficult about that at all, though.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 06:51:26 pm by PeskySaurus »
"I got something deep inside of me, courage is the thing that KEEPS US FREE!" - If you don't know the source of this line, don't even bother talking to me you communist.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 07:36:56 pm »

Welcome to Source. There are lots and lots of cheats that were okay when HL2 came out but are dead weights today.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 07:47:17 pm »

well, the enviroment lightning in source engine is precalculated during the compile process. Doom3's lightning is done by the engine in realtime and as far as i remember correctly, you don't need to compile your maps in doom3, too.
Every methode has it's pros and cons. So is the ability of lightning in D3 limited and there won't be things like light bouncing.
At the end, every engine is restrickted in several things, and the mod team has to choose which engine fits best for their needs.

The limitaion to 4 dynamic lights results out of the fact, for every light on a brushface there has to be a lightmap which has to be stored in the bsp, so if you have even 4 dynamic lights on some of the brushfaces in your map, and maybe the lightmap grid is very detailed on them too, there is a lot of aditional data to store in the file.

This will increase the filesize, and the memory usage of the map. The result will be a heavy impact on the performance.
And i don't see a reason for having even 2 or 3 dynamic lights in the same area of a map.

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 08:47:04 pm »

ah, so now i know :/
"I got something deep inside of me, courage is the thing that KEEPS US FREE!" - If you don't know the source of this line, don't even bother talking to me you communist.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 04:20:24 am »

Is as simple as this: Doom 3 need $2000 computer (at its time) to play properly. HL2 need $500 computer to play properly. Which game is bigger and better? (barring actual replay etc.) HL2... Valve won the argument, Doom3 won the prettyness

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 08:59:52 am »

doom 3 still isn't that pretty lot of shadows and low poly models hehe.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 02:03:31 pm »

in my experience id software has become pretty ineffecient in how they code things as of late, which is a pitty considering the practically INVENTED the FPS genre. I can run Half-Life 2 (including episode 2 and inbetween) at completely full settings with a little bit of AA and AF with no slowdown whatsoever, and UT3 at nearly full settings with little slow down, yet Quake Wars will barely run on the lowest settings on my machine. I can only JUST NOW run Doom 3 and Quake 4 at full, and quake wars, again, is basically unplayable even on the lowest settings. Atleast their games are stable though. Never once had an id game lock up on me. can't say the same for halflife or unreal series.... i guess its a trade off

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 07:00:18 am »

I didn't like doom 3 lighting. Sure the dynamic part was neat and stuff, but it looked ugly. Everything looked like plastic too.
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 07:17:32 am »

beta stage caves currently is fun, what detracts from visibility (at times) enhances replayability and there is a tactic to it, but if all maps were to do that itd be boring. Caves it makes sense and the atmosphere supports it, a map with a concrete building like bunker having rooms go dark is just overkill.

I agree that maybe lights could be breakable tho, for fun, not to affect light sources. Doubt mappers will do this because its not a priority to bring from the original

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 12:58:08 am »

There's a limit of how many on/off lights there can be in one area. A brush face can only have 4 styles, so that limits it to 2 unique lights that have on/off states (on on) (on off) (off on) (off off). If you control lights to all go off/on at once, by naming them them the same, the lights will act as one unqiue group so that's how caves is able to turn off a bunch of lights at one.

The problem with on/off lights is that they are direct light only, and provide no bounce light. A light pointing straight down won't bounce up and illuminate the ceiling, so the ceiling will probably be blacked out. This makes things ugly

But the original caves IS blacked out and ugly! hahaha
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?
Pages: [1]   Go Up