GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 10:40:11 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Translations needed  (Read 34789 times)

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
Re: New Translations needed
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2009, 01:01:33 am »

All lang translations are handled by the engine, we cant do any thing about it.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2009, 10:09:47 am »

Is there really such a big difference between Portuguese from Portugal and Portuguese from Brazil?
I mean the german language got a lot of difference too, like the so called Hochdeutsch (most accurate german), the bavarian (which is kinda hard to understand for non bavarians) or even switzerland or austria.
After all most of them will understand German, so it's not really a problem.

As for the German translation team (coolDisguise, Cy & me) we got a good communication via PM.
Also the Wiki got some real nice features for telling others things about your edit or reverting to an older edit if necessary.

You should get in contact with the other and talk about a solution for this.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2009, 09:04:51 pm »

Is there really such a big difference between Portuguese from Portugal and Portuguese from Brazil?

There is enough difference; the most noticeable one is the verb tense used by each one on the same situation.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2009, 09:02:13 am »

The important thing is, will a brazilian be able to understand the portuguese, if it's the portugal portuguese?

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2009, 10:08:48 am »

The important thing is, will a brazilian be able to understand the portuguese, if it's the portugal portuguese?

Yes, they will. I just said that because there are two different translators. Portuguese (whichever form it may be) is understandable by both Portuguese people and Brazilian people. Having said that, I say we can keep the translation present in the wiki. Perhaps sometime later, when Steam can actually tell the difference, the two versions can be included.

VGF

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • VGF is on the verge of being accepted.VGF is on the verge of being accepted.VGF is on the verge of being accepted.VGF is on the verge of being accepted.VGF is on the verge of being accepted.
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2009, 02:53:18 pm »

It's the standard problem when there is a language and it's spoken in the North/South America continents and Europe.

That's why most professionals, when doing localisations, divide languages into French(Parisin)/French(Canada); Spanish(Castilian, from Spain)/Spanish(Latin American), and Portuguese(Portugal)/Portugese(Brazil).

You guys need either need to make a neutral version, stick to the version that Steam is supporting (Check the flag), or allow people to have both languages at the price of making an extra installer/Zip package (Keep it simple).

And now for something completely different...

I kept playing around with more stuff in order to make it translatable and I found a hitch. Most, if not everything on the Team Select/After Action Report/Similars text are within textures. I'd like to ask you coders if you think you could put that back into text (as the fonts are already in the game), if you can't, well, I guess we should start using extra main folders.

Also, the descriptions are untranslatable. Or at least, I tried to replace the texts with language specifics and it didn't worked.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 02:57:10 pm by VGF »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2009, 06:48:31 pm »

The descriptions should be localized, granted, but the images will remain as images because otherwise it looks like poop and you can't capture a lot of the rotations of the characters in the background / whatever

eamonn

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • eamonn has no influence.
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2009, 07:41:14 pm »

I can do the Irish translations if you want.

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2009, 07:50:33 pm »

copy the english one on the wiki and make a new page for it if you want.

VGF

• Secret Agent
  • VGF is on the verge of being accepted.VGF is on the verge of being accepted.VGF is on the verge of being accepted.VGF is on the verge of being accepted.VGF is on the verge of being accepted.
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2009, 08:52:03 pm »

The descriptions should be localized, granted, but the images will remain as images because otherwise it looks like poop and you can't capture a lot of the rotations of the characters in the background / whatever
All right then, in order to translate those textures we'll have to start adding gesource_language folders and add the translated texture data there. That way would be an easy way to translate descriptions without touching code. Left 4 Dead does it for the loading screens, Counter-Strike does it for the maps descriptions.

You could also make the installer do this: When you select a language, that the choice of installer language also makes the installer install the locale folder that's required.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2009, 09:19:42 pm »

Those other games also have TEAMS of TEAMS of people working on them. We don't. Don't expect anything fancy, you are lucky you get at least MOST of the english localized, most mods don't give two shits about other languages. To me, this is a convienence and not a priority and will not be the top of the list, sorry.

eamonn

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • eamonn has no influence.
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2009, 09:48:34 pm »

copy the english one on the wiki and make a new page for it if you want.
It will be done.

I just discovered that you can actually get Wikipedia as Gaeilge...

Edit: There's no "k" in Irish. The Klobb is now An Clobb.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 10:55:25 pm by eamonn »

VGF

• Secret Agent
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2009, 05:01:43 pm »

Those other games also have TEAMS of TEAMS of people working on them. We don't. Don't expect anything fancy, you are lucky you get at least MOST of the english localized, most mods don't give two shits about other languages. To me, this is a convienence and not a priority and will not be the top of the list, sorry.
I'm not saying you guys need to do this.

EDIT: Here's a small proof: http://www.mediafire.com/?jrzhwqebhjy

It includes (I think) the only standalone text textures, and a PSD for all the translators so they can make their versions. There's some textures with text included, but I didn't wanted to massacre those, although some ideas are in my mind.

For the devs, it's easy: just add it to the installer and Steam will do the rest. It's on the SourceMods folder.

Oh, and I have not found the Auto-Join/MI6/Janus stuff from the Team Select, yet.

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2009, 11:58:54 pm »

The thing is the translation service is handled by the steam. Doing this will mean implementing our own and we rather spend the time on other things atm.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up