GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:44:39 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Map overlay  (Read 10697 times)

[GoldenGirls]Bea Arthur

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • [GoldenGirls]Bea Arthur has no influence.
Map overlay
« on: February 15, 2009, 05:30:41 pm »

Playing this game, I think that a convenient function would be a 2D map overlay where the radar normally goes. I know this isn't Counterstrike but there are a fair number of maps where the layout is basically a repeating motif in one area where a player can get confused thinking they were going to one area and not the other; maps such as Complex, Archives, Caves, and Stack are good examples where areas resemble each other closely enough that newer players (and even myself, sometimes) can get mixed up.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
Re: Map overlay
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 05:39:10 pm »

It would be of some relative help for newer players, but my advice to them is: learn the maps before playing them. GE007 didn't have it and honestly there isn't a strong enough reason to make one. After a few rounds on one of the maps you mentioned, you start to know your way around them, obliterating the need for a map overlay. This is just my opinion.

Nozzy06

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Nozzy06 has no influence.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 06:29:11 pm »

This would make it too easy if you ask me. Play for a week and you'll learn how to navigate the maps. Even I can see a dot on the radar and get a good rough estimate of where the other players are and where I am. These maps aren't terribly confusing. The radar as it is now serves it's purpose.
"Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders."

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 07:05:08 pm »

The radar is fine as is, it is not really needed but if the server enables it I will use it I sometimes forget to though.

PPK

• PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 07:06:56 pm »

Honestly, I think the radar is somewhat useful when you are playing Temple with one more person in the server. Otherwise it's futile. I never played with radar in the N64.

Nozzy06

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Nozzy06 has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 07:12:21 pm »

The radar is fine as is, it is not really needed but if the server enables it I will use it I sometimes forget to though.

You forget? O_O I tend to look at my radar more than the map itself! =P My eyes are always semi-fixed to the radar so i always know whats around me, it's habit I guess. I enjoy being able to jump into a room knowing beforehand that there's someone inside. There needs to be more servers with the radar off, though. I find playing that way brings back the surprise element of things and at times I'd prefer that. I like it either way but the radar itself doesn't need to be modified from what it is.
"Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders."

Abraham Lincoln

• Agent
  • Abraham Lincoln has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 08:39:47 pm »

2D overlay is good for games that really need it, like the war-type ones.  This is kind of a run-and-gun type game.

The more suggestions I consider, the more I kind of realize that there are really two fronts of this mod: modern playability and authenticity as has been mentioned.  It is true that the radar was always on for all modes if you set it; they did not put the proper code in it to be dynamic, if i can recall correctly.  So, for instance, should the man with the Golden Gun have radar only? Should everyone else? One of these would add playability, but neither would be authentic.

I think it is necessary to consider the changes you have to put in to sustain 12 people killing each other than the original 4 max.  Team play is confusing, and really non-existent if turning it on really just means modifying the scoreboard.  One guy on my team ran up to me and unloaded three clips into my head (wouldn't be the first time i have been shot in the ol noggin), before someone someone realized what was going on and killed us both.

You guys did proper things concerning level sizes and expansion.  I commend you on this. 

The evolution of the game, I think, should also account for some of the changes seen in perfect dark; hunting and throwing knives were one in the same, for instance, and added playability.  They had the time to make reload animations, though this would be largely aesthetic.  Tell me you guys didn't think flipping the knife around wasn't cool?  It could look like a reload and still work.

Think what TF2 did to improve TFC... they decided against making a direct TFC port and did not make "classic levels" but expanded and improved them.  Don't make GES into TF2, but read their blogs when they talk about programming (along with L4D).  It is very insightful.

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 09:51:53 pm »

/murders the radar   :o :o oh noes he didnt!?
Win.

I like playing on no radar servers... in GE atleast... i live by it in CS ... but GE i just dont see it important.. ill glance and get the kill sometimes but i dont live by it..

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 10:20:19 am »

Well i cannot imagin anything more that can be done against ppl attacking teammates, i mean there is Friend: and name printed with blue letters in front of the teammates, on radar they got another color, the scoreboard is devided into Red vs Blue, in teamplay modes you will have to select a team before you can join the action, depending on the team you choose the available characters are different and FF is off by default (i think).
There'll ever be some noobs which will empty their clips into teammates wondering why they cannot kill you and in worst case accuse you for hacking.

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 12:32:43 pm »

@kraid: what you mentioned is part of an online game. If I played an online game and did not experience what you said, I'd find it strange. :D

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 12:48:57 pm »

The models clothes could be colour coded for teamplay only maybe that would help?

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 01:07:56 pm »

The models clothes could be colour coded for teamplay only maybe that would help?

They would still shoot. You can't help stupidity.

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 02:01:07 pm »

Every little helps.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 02:20:41 pm »

You cannot select Bond, Valentin or Mishkin when you are in Janus and the others not when you're in MI6.
This is kinda color code or even more.
PPL who are not able to see the difference between Janus and MI6 players won't see a difference till the players are bright red and blue.

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 02:47:36 pm »

Those people should read the wiki to get some information about the game; jump head on into a new game often results in undesired situations which we all want to avoid. Anyway, if he hits you and can't hurt you, let him shoot. He is the one who's gonna run out of ammo (unless FF is on; in that case, use the shotgun-to-the-face system on him and make sure everyone in your team knows what that moron is doing)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2009, 03:04:45 pm »

Last time I played Goldeneye 64, I didn't remember team play to be color coded... Do we really have to reduce our game to the level of a 6 year old before people can know what team they are on?

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2009, 03:07:22 pm »

Mi6 = bond + suits, valentin, mishkin
janus = THE REST

know what team you are on (it tells you conveniently in the left corner) and know the above variables. Easy as that.

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2009, 03:15:07 pm »

I don't think it looks too bad. This is just a quick hue/saturation tweak.
Normal coloured models for FFA.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 03:17:49 pm by keefy »

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 03:19:37 pm »

Do we really have to reduce our game to the level of a 6 year old before people can know what team they are on?

In no way you have to do that. That's why you have the wiki, the forums, all that stuff. It's fro people who have doubts about teams to clear them all. It's peoples' problem if they keep shooting teammates to no avail. I said that in my last post in this thread.

InvertedShadow

• Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • InvertedShadow has no influence.
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 05:17:53 am »

As an idea, bond has multiple suit colors. If this were added to the other characters we could have them all be shaded a certain way.

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 07:08:58 am »

As an idea, bond has multiple suit colors. If this were added to the other characters we could have them all be shaded a certain way.

That's what i was thinking.. maybe a clean black/&/blue, pinstripe black /&/ blue.. etc >.>

Also I'd like to see mayday in some more fashionable/interchangeable colors as well.. i mean.. wesley snipes has to look GOOD eh?(inside thing.. ahaha.. yeah..)

Abraham Lincoln

• Agent
  • Abraham Lincoln has no influence.
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 07:16:47 am »

Last time I played Goldeneye 64, I didn't remember team play to be color coded...
Who was suggesting this? I'm sure there is a better way for these problems that don't mean radical changes.  In fact, I think it would be super ugly to edit player models like that.

And again, G64 was 2v2.  Multiplayer maps were made for 4 players.  It was 1999, and I was a preen eating vanilla cups, wide-eyed and bushy-tailed...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 07:22:01 am by Abraham Lincoln »

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 07:33:44 am »

Like above said GE64 was 2v2 only so you only needed to worry about 1 other player being on your team and the rest were enemies.

I like that idea  InvertedShadow mentioned so we can chose our  own suit colours for FFA and be forced when templay.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 07:46:37 am »

Mi6 = bond + suits, valentin, mishkin
janus = THE REST

know what team you are on (it tells you conveniently in the left corner) and know the above variables. Easy as that.

you guys are being way over the top. What started as team solutions is turning into fashion week. So even if it is considered expect it to be many months away.

If tournaments for clan type situations wants color coding they'll just reskin themselves. This is def a community initiative, think about who wants to do it.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 07:49:58 am by Wake[of]theBunT »
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up