GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 07:50:51 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My impressions  (Read 5314 times)

plinko116

My impressions
« on: February 11, 2009, 02:58:16 am »

First congrats on getting this build out. The game is fun and addicting  :).

So far I've enjoyed playing the mod, but there are a few things which bug me.

One is weapon balancing (yes I know this was addressed in other threads) but they really do need to be balanced. Some weapons are better than others, but when I get the Golden Gun I never, never die. Its just too overpowered (yes, 1 shot is fine, but maybe slow down the reload and limit the number of shots you can get? I'm sure these can all be fixed server side). Most of the other weapons I didn't have a problem with.

Second is weapon placement. In other threads it has been stated that better weapons are harder to get-well they really aren't and anyone can get them with ease. This is another reason why the weapons need more balancing or it has to be more difficult to get weapons or acquire more ammo for stronger weapons.

Third is melee. It's absolutely worthless with radar. Unless you get in a melee to melee, you're pretty much dead unless you get a firearm, and you can't sneak up on anyone because of the radar.

Fourth is the HUD. The weapons menu is way to small. I can identify the weapons I'm holding, but when I need to see what weapons I need to change too, it's difficult with the small menu to read the words. The health meter and armor meter can become a bit distracting but that's something to get used too. Also someone else mentioned having a mark of general direction the fire is coming from would be nice.

After those three main points, the rest are all quirks that have already been mentioned (clipping, flow, etc.) Aside from those problems, I find the game enjoyable.

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
Re: My impressions
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 04:30:26 am »

Glad you enjoyed the game dude, we are working on a bunch of your points, and already have a few of them solved for the patch.

for weapon balancing, im betting you played on a server with random weapons. when guns like the GG and Gpp7 spawn on random weapon servers it really screws with the balance of the game. if the servers would have used the weapon sets we designated the game would be quite a bit more balanced. so we had to come up with random weapon sets for servers in the next patch which should help out quite a bit with the weapon balancing.
as for the GG itself, under normal playing conditions (not random weapons) the golden gun only comes up in specific game modes like MWGG so on random servers i understand what you mean by it being over powered. hopefully the next patch will help this out quite a bit.

i think again the random weapon set fix we have coming will handle the weapon placement issue a bit more as well.

yea i agree melee kind of sucks when you have slappers, and hunting knives are a bit tough to hit with (even though when they do they are bad ass) to help with sneaking maybe play on servers with no radar for now.

best way with the weapon menu, is to switch from using the mouse scroll and instead hit your number keys to quickly switch to a different weapon class instead of scrolling, that way you'll be able to know quickly just what kind of weapon is going to come up if you have it in your inventory.

thanks for the really good reply dude make sure to let us know if there's anything else you can think of i love hearing from people who form logical and reasonable opinions about the project haha.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 05:42:01 am »

Yes however we will not be balancing weapons at this next patch aside from fixing the issues with WEAPONSETS creating an imbalance of spawns types.

Perhaps later on, if more people say GG is overpowered we will internally test a nerf. But tbo so far only you have mentioned that its overpowered, and if that if because you are good at the game using it, so be it haha

Try fending off 15 people with it, i bet you cant. Players need to learn to attack the Golden Gun holder using the yellow dot.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 06:33:26 am »

"Yes however we will not be balancing weapons at this next patch"

O RLY.  Maybe you should check with the weaponsmith before making comments about weapons.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

drukqaddik

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • drukqaddik has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 07:33:07 am »

still dont see how gg is overpowered... its the Golden Gun, it kills you in 24karat.

keefy

• EWJ
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • keefy is looked down upon.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 07:42:45 am »

Can you do Jack Nicholson?

plinko116

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 08:57:10 pm »

That was probably it. Many servers do have different settings (the first time I played I was on a server that was 1 shot kill, so I thought all weapns were overpowered XD).

Anyway good luck on your next build.

GoldenGuy

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 05:17:57 am »

1 hit kills from golden guns are fun on N64 when you can barely aim, but with mouse and keyboard they're horrible.  Maybe you guys should make insta gib mode = golden guns and otherwise have no golden guns at all, because it's complete shit the way it is.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 05:23:16 am »

the first time I played I was on a server that was 1 shot kill, so I thought all weapns were overpowered XD

This wont be so much for you anymore probably, but in the next patch is fixing the issue of people not understanding things right away.

We will be instructing people they can type "!help" in chat and it will inform you what the game-mode is and a little description.
Pages: [1]   Go Up