GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 27, 2024, 10:20:49 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Laboratory 90207  (Read 22677 times)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
VC's Laboratory 90207
« on: February 08, 2009, 01:13:53 am »

Now that it's out, I have thoughts. They reside herein.

I must see if I can get KM to fix Valve's netcode.  There's a lot of blood-but-no-reg going on.  Part of this is related to underpowered servers.  I'm seeing many systems that are dropping to 30 and 20 client updates per second, and that's really bad.  Servers really should cap the player count so their servers won't start dropping ticks.  GES is good for small groups, dang it.

No one is playing Team YOLT, which is one of the best formats currently availiable, in my opinion.

I must see if I can get KM to add a quick slot-swap on the Random Weapons system so the weakest weapon goes into Slot 1 every time.  Any time a weapon of moderate power gets Slot 1, that's all the round ever sees, which sucks a lot of the fun out of it.  Also, 18 noobs spawning with a crate of Hand Grenade really spams things up.

My accuracy has been rather embarassing.  I think I lost my edge by cutting up the Dev/Beta noob gallery.  Conversely, I could learn to stop sucking.

I must see if I can get KM to drop the on-spawn invulnerability period from two seconds to one in LTK.  I'm sick of getting ganked in the ass after shooting someone three times just because they get to kill me before they lose their shield.  I don't care what nooblets say, LTK is the last place anyone needs spawn protection.

The spawn-away-from-enemies code KM wrote is insufficient. I'll think of something better.

Source is really a shitty engine for LTK.  Really shitty.  Damn.

I'm rather impressed by the lack of trolling I've seen so far.  I know Insurgency's first-in-a-while release was met with Rick Astley over the microphone, which was a new troll at the time. So far I've only seen a couple spoilsports with inflamitory names.

My ass aches from sitting in this chair for too long, so I'm going to sit on the couch and watch cartoons.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: VC's Laboratory 90207
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 02:40:53 am »

I heard a really good quote when I sat in on my friend's PHD dissertation. He was being drilled by one of the committee members and one of the senior faculty cut in and stated:

"Part of writing a good dissertation is knowing when to quit"

I believe the same holds true with Beta 3. As much as I agree with you VC on 3/4 of your bullet points, I can't possibly implement everything to perfection and still release a mod.

Look for a lot of minor gameplay fixes/tweaks in the Beta 3 patch that will be released at somepoint and for very big improvements in Beta 4. As it stands, I consider these to be very very minor problems compared to the global awesomeness of the mod as it stands.

(PS. The lowest weapon random bug is very valid and will definitely be addressed, my suggestion is for servers who run random weapons to use ge_startarmed 1 or 0 to prevent low weapon spammage)

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 05:15:52 am »

with the way you are numbering the dates in your posts, you better make one on the 10th for shits and giggles.
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 05:27:43 am »

Lmao.
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 08:22:23 am »

yea no joke dude im gonna have to punch you if you dont make one on the 10th.

good post though dude a lot of valid design points in there that we can hammer on for our next round of fixes.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 11:31:25 am »

Team YOLT would be great. Too bad you can't dictate what servers do.

I agree with lowering the invulnerability time in LTK. It feels bad when you see a fresh spawn and empty a clip in his face only for him to shoot you because he was invulnerable...

We could start singing Rick Astley over the mic, if you really want to.

I'll be waiting for a new thread of VC's Laboratory on Tuesday.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:12:53 am by PPK »

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 02:06:21 pm »

10th or die.

And no, 2 sec are fine in LTK. Avoid spammy servers and you'll be safe.

snk_kid

• Agent
  • snk_kid has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 09:55:27 am »

No one is playing Team YOLT, which is one of the best formats currently availiable, in my opinion.

I played Team YOLT last night (for hours), it was awesome. I think YOLT is now one of my favourite modes but It seems like not many like this mode and every time I checked all the YOLT servers (not many) where empty most of Sunday until the Team YOLT server came on-line in the evening (in the UK).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:14:23 am by snk_kid »

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 10:07:23 am »

I set up a permanent 12 man Team-YOLT Server (old Beta3 Testing Server).   Its called Octopussy -=TEAM-YOLT=-

(Servers been having connection problems lately, but talked to Dallas DataCenter and seems to be OK now, if not..Hell will come to earth)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:09:22 am by major »
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 02:10:09 pm »

(Servers been having connection problems lately, but talked to Dallas DataCenter and seems to be OK now, if not..Hell will come to earth)

But I don't want Hell on Earth...
I'm still on freaking Phobos. Don't get ahead of me.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

PPK

• PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 03:23:48 pm »

But I don't want Hell on Earth...
I'm still on freaking Phobos. Don't get ahead of me.

DooM runs in your veins.

Sp1nn3y

• Local Graphic Artist
  • 00 Agent
  • Sp1nn3y has no influence.
    • Sp1nn3ys Portfolio Website
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 05:29:48 pm »

I set up a permanent 12 man Team-YOLT Server (old Beta3 Testing Server).   Its called Octopussy -=TEAM-YOLT=-

Best Team YOLT i must say, i love the team servers as well and i'd love to see more..

/Sets astley bind

you should be able to dictate a server max... i had a few friends try GE:S, play in a 20 man server, and get infuriated because it was just spam fest :-/. I do believe 14 man should be a max limit... To think, On N64 on these maps.. it was a 4 man limit..

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2009, 05:52:06 pm »

To think, On N64 on these maps.. it was a 4 man limit..

It is true, and they didn't feel like being too big. Perhaps a limit should be hard-coded, but it would have to be discussed thoroughly.

Nice one on the Astley bind man! make sure you spam the hell out of that mic! ;)

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2009, 07:52:31 pm »

On N64 you could also watch your opponent's screen and know where they were.
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 01:36:30 am »

you homos!!! i gave him the idea for the 10th feb stop stealin mah genius, its mine :D i figured it out over a month ago.

he needs to make one on the 10th of february 2009. Guaranteed it will be a sexy drama with intermittent times of the funny.
haha, thats epic
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up