GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 23, 2024, 01:25:46 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Facility Expansion  (Read 8932 times)

Meliadoul2k

• Pretty Gangsta Myself
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Meliadoul2k has no influence.
Facility Expansion
« on: February 10, 2009, 08:55:25 pm »

My favorite map of all time on the original GE007 was Facility. While I like new facility map, it feels like it could be expanded a little more. I noticed a few blank areas where hallways would fit perfectly. Here's some examples.

There are some more areas, particularly the vents, that deserve a rightful expansion.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
Re: Facility Expansion
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 09:44:57 pm »

My favorite map of all time on the original GE007 was Facility. While I like new facility map, it feels like it could be expanded a little more. I noticed a few blank areas where hallways would fit perfectly. Here's some examples.

There are some more areas, particularly the vents, that deserve a rightful expansion.

This one isn't bad, but just maybe from vent to back area, and not to the front.
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 09:53:44 pm »

That creates a problem, though; because it's just one long alley-way.  It'd only work well if it were two-story, linking the ladder in the four-tank room to an upper area that overlaps another area connecting to the now-blocked doors you mention.  The vent interface is really the only flow improvement this would create.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 10:12:17 pm »

That creates a problem, though; because it's just one long alley-way.  It'd only work well if it were two-story, linking the ladder in the four-tank room to an upper area that overlaps another area connecting to the now-blocked doors you mention.  The vent interface is really the only flow improvement this would create.

Hilarious... So many words to say "the vent thing is a bad idea" haha

X-tra

• -
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • X-tra is looked down upon.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 10:18:42 pm »

Annother question : Why did devs remove the basement in Facility ? I think that was a great place to run around...
Just in case, I'm French. So if you see that some of my sentences dosen't make any sens, you know why. But hey, who care anyway ?

Sergeant Kelly

• Deus Ex Fan.
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 18
  • Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.Sergeant Kelly is working their way up.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 10:25:36 pm »

I actually like the choke-pointed Facility. It makes for interesting gameplay.

If you want a flowing and open Facility, check out the "Laboratory" remake of it in Quantum of Solace.

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 01:14:12 am »

or play Back Zone when it comes out cause thats really got uber flow in hte new version.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 07:02:46 am »

Facility won't be expanded any more.

Annother question : Why did devs remove the basement in Facility ? I think that was a great place to run around...

You must be talking about the old 'maintenance shaft'. There were a couple reasons why it didn't make much sense, so it was removed.

Facility won't have any more layout tweaks except for the vent connection between the security room and the locker room. I want to retain most of the essence of the original layout without trying as much drastic changes like I was once experimenting with.

facility_backzone will be a completely different story. I feel I have much more freedom to tweak the map out to make playable, and I think you are going to love what has been added to address this.
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

drukqaddik

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • drukqaddik has no influence.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 07:24:46 am »

only thing i think should be added is the bathroom vent should have an alternate drop into the hallway by the body armor.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 12:23:45 pm »

only thing i think should be added is the bathroom vent should have an alternate drop into the hallway by the body armor.

That would probably deviate too much of the original, which isn't the path Mike wants to follow. It is not Facility Classic, but the same layout has to be maintained without making many changes  in order to make the map familiar to most people.

drukqaddik

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • drukqaddik has no influence.
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 01:05:41 pm »

the vent is already placed there. and in felicity perfect dark it was there, i know its not ge, but kinda added a lot especially if ppl like to throw proxies in the vent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up