GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 19, 2024, 11:53:58 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 29   Go Down

Author Topic: [Dev's Ask Fans] What do you want in Beta 4?  (Read 154259 times)

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: [Dev's Ask Fans] What do you want in Beta 4?
« Reply #300 on: April 22, 2009, 03:48:52 am »

Well its a balance between processing power / how much time you want to devote to solving your intelligence. There are also logistical things, such as what do I need the bots to do (fill a gap for players or something more complicated). You have to deal with an extremely complex set of decision trees. 3D Navigation is very difficult to calculate an optimal solution for path planning purposes because of the sheer number of possibilities....

Basically a tremendous amount of probability, binary searching (decision trees), activity logic, path planning, knowledge of the mission state and objectives, cost functions... etc etc.

I lot goes into AI besides telling a bot to move to point x,y and fire 3 shots. I suggest you pickup a book on the subject, there are a lot of good ones out there, but be prepared to open your math mind ;-)

The Valve Developer Wiki has a whole section devoted to AI: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Category:AI

I want gun game

This is already out in Beta 3.1 and there are two servers hosting it 24/7

Mark [lodle]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mark [lodle] has no influence.
« Reply #301 on: April 22, 2009, 04:49:46 am »

Ai is hard. We had to throw away alot of the hl2 ai stuff as its a pain in the ass to use and complicates things alot. Once uni exams and work commitments are done ill be spending a fair chunk of time on the issue.

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #302 on: April 22, 2009, 09:09:59 pm »

I find bots to be amusing, specially in CS when you set them up in easy mode and go around on the map Pool Day with 16 vs. 16. Besides that, they aren't much of a need, unless it's to populate servers.

Just to say that bots without proper AI are useless, because they'd spoil the fun in no time. If you guys don't have the time nor the resources to code some "proper" AI, a good one, then I'm good without them.

The above is just my opinion.

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #303 on: April 22, 2009, 11:21:18 pm »

I think that most of the people who want bots, want them for offline.

Rodney 1.666

• Macc
  • Reputation Power: 33
  • Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!Rodney 1.666 is a rising star!
    • Steam profile
« Reply #304 on: April 22, 2009, 11:56:55 pm »

Methinks the same.
Quote from: Friday, June 07, 2013
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: So I post on GE:S after 6 months and Facility comes on Radio Nintendo
9:48 PM - Macc 1.666: think it's trying to tell me something
9:48 PM - Proxie: Tonight you will dream of Grant Kirkhope and VC

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #305 on: April 23, 2009, 01:08:17 am »

That would make sense. I know that when I am on trips and internet access is limited, it would nice just to load up a game of goldeneye for some fun. :D

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

KABLAMTASTIC

« Reply #306 on: May 01, 2009, 05:59:12 pm »

I want exploding boxes, crates, chairs, computers, monitors, steel drums, fire extinguishers and generators. Let's face it: In Goldeneye, EVERYTHING exploded.

Oh yeah and the ability to close doors.

mookie

• Idiot
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • mookie is looked down upon.
« Reply #307 on: May 01, 2009, 07:50:08 pm »

NVGs would be a neat pick-up.
5 2 3 7 1 4 6 0

PPK

• PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #308 on: May 01, 2009, 09:38:20 pm »

NVGs would be a neat pick-up.

Night vision goggles? Oh yeah, they'd be useful for Caves. That way you wouldn't need to screw around with the brightness to see something.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #309 on: May 02, 2009, 12:17:47 am »

Conversely, the map could be lit properly.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

WNxCJL9788

• Secret Agent
  • WNxCJL9788 has no influence.
« Reply #310 on: May 02, 2009, 02:08:53 am »

Just stick the flashlight on, turn your Gamma up and squint alot.

Or yeh, the map could be lighted better.

Boxiii

• Teh Boxman
  • Agent
  • Boxiii has no influence.
    • myspace.com/meismatt5
« Reply #311 on: May 02, 2009, 03:22:10 am »

Bots would be fun for offline and online play, just to goof around with. Besides that, i am sure the rocket launcher would make everybody happy.
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out

Zippy

• Magic Member
  • Secret Agent
  • Zippy has no influence.
« Reply #312 on: May 19, 2009, 01:52:06 pm »

You know those question mark guys you could select in multiplayer? I want those.

PPK

• Warrior Nation
« Reply #313 on: May 19, 2009, 05:59:29 pm »

You know those question mark guys you could select in multiplayer? I want those.

You mean more characters. They are being worked on. You'll have your Siberian Special Forces in due time.

TwiggyTwink

• Secret Agent
  • TwiggyTwink has no influence.
« Reply #314 on: May 22, 2009, 03:09:03 pm »

I'd like to see the Klobb's accuracy upgraded. I know it was a trainwreck in the original.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 29   Go Up