GoldenEye: Source Forums

• July 08, 2024, 04:23:26 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: VC's Laboratory 90101  (Read 20584 times)

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
VC's Laboratory 90101
« on: January 01, 2009, 08:45:15 pm »

We decided to blast into the new year with rolling explosions.  This is good news for people who aren't fans of the HL2 blasts, which since Beta 1.X/2 have been rather large to make up for the fact that they don't linger.  They may need a few tweaks in the next couple weeks for performance concerns; we need to get all the testers together and spamming to ensure there is no problem with FPS tanking or bandwidth spiking, but the WIP is looking kinda cool.

Gameplay concern: fire through walls.

In Goldeneye 007, blasts penerated all BSP, which lead to some really cheesy gameplay problems.  As we have it coded now, the fire effect can penetrate easily.  Fire damage will apply if the wall is thin enough that the explosion center(s) roll through it.  Thus, doors and windows will not protect you, but a medium wall that leaks just a little of the fire graphic will be safe.  This happens when a blast is against the far size of the wall and the blast point cannot see you through the wall but the fire graphic penetrates.  With thin walls, the blast can jump through the wall and toast your muffins.  Overall this should allow explosives to function as they did in GE007, without allowing too much cheese.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
Re: VC's Laboratory 90101
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 11:05:32 pm »

This sounds great, I'm glad this is going to be in Beta 3, it'll greatly enhance the Goldeneye experience!

Are you using the ep2 engine's handy particle editor?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 11:07:30 pm by The SSL »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 11:16:48 pm »

Trying to.

Oddly enough, I get fewer crashes in WINE if I run the game through the editor.

Also, this is not 100% certain to make it in B3.0; if we can't be certain it will be stable and bug-free, we will bump it to a later release.  I am confident that the chance of that is slim, however.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 12:47:34 am »

Nice job guys. I am REALLY happy to see that rolling explosions will be implimented. although...I really did enjoy watching that beta 3 video on runway in the room where sharpshooter (I think) blew the crap out of his opponent and his body went flying into the rail :) Very enjoyable....but I think it would be much better to have rolling explosions if they work right :) Thanks for the new years update.

By the way VC, how do you determine what your Laboratory number will be..it seems like they are just random..or do they have some special meaning?

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 01:19:11 am »

do they have some special meaning?
new years update.

You are on the path, Grasshopper.

Bissrok

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Bissrok has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 02:07:55 am »

By the way VC, how do you determine what your Laboratory number will be..it seems like they are just random..or do they have some special meaning?

It's the date. Today is 01/01/2009 or "90101", as he writes it. The last post was "81227", or 12/27/2008.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 04:22:18 am »

he needs to make one on the 10th of february 2009. Guaranteed it will be a sexy drama with intermittent times of the funny.

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 05:53:58 am »

he needs to make one on the 10th of february 2009. Guaranteed it will be a sexy drama with intermittent times of the funny.

haha, thats epic
All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 08:10:46 am »

ahhh i always forget the alternate method of writing the date when its flopped. It isn't always common in America to see that where I am from.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

StrikerMan780

• Hellbender
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • StrikerMan780 has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2009, 01:36:42 am »

Cool stuff. Rolling Explosions were one of my favorite things in GoldenEye, they added to the look and feel of the game, as well as added to the gameplay.

BTW, What is going on? You guys have been awfully silent as of late.

Check out [SM]'s HL2: Deathmatch Server! I've worked hard on making it the best it can be.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 04:06:29 am »

I've a lot of things I'd like to talk about but I'm not allowed.

Rolling explosions are not going to be in Beta 3.0; too many problems to work on without risking a release date bump, which is not going to happen.  Probably 3.1 or maybe Beta 4.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 02:58:12 am by Sean [Baron] »

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 05:39:47 am »

Tisk Tisk VC..
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 05:44:01 am »

See what I put up with around here just for you fans?  Every time I make a post I have to screenshot it so I can compare it against whatever redactions have been made to it after I turn my back.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 05:46:07 am by Viashino Cutthroat »

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 06:08:26 am »

I've a lot of things I'd like to talk about but I'm not allowed, because BARON can't keep his hands off my posts.

Rolling explosions are not going to be in Beta 3.0; too many problems to work on without risking a release date bump, which is not going to happen.  Probably 3.1 or maybe Beta 4.

beta 4 probably, if we can get bad ass with the FX in _____months
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Ruone Delacroix

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Ruone Delacroix has no influence.
    • Nexus of Gaming
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 04:04:01 pm »

beta 4 probably, if we can get bad ass with the FX in _____months

Months? That's progress!
Admin of {TLP} Tastes Like Pants

Proud player of Goldeneye: Source. Keep up the great work, team!

Wake[of]theBunT

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 05:19:00 pm »

Remembering that b4 is after beta3 releasing, so both will be inside "monthS"

All in all, good news!

90210, do not forget VC or ill own your blog :P

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 05:47:23 pm »

Forget what?

Wake[of]theBunT

• Retired Lead Developer
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 07:19:38 pm »

you know, the joke, you get the 90210 joke yea?

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 10:44:07 pm »

It's over ninety-thousaaaaaaaaaand?

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2009, 03:03:20 am »

Just respect our decisions to keep things under wraps VC, and we won't have to edit posts. No body's telling you to mention work in progress stuff, and as far as I know you haven't even asked for those peoples permission to talk about them before doing it. That is why I and others have edited your posts.

Another reason is we are trying to get away from what had happened in the past. We would talk about something, and then later on down the line something change, and people got their hopes up. I would rather wait until something is finalized and set in stone before we start to talk about anything WIP, unless permission is given. ESPECIALLY any sort of release information, PR information, or hints at any number of things.

All I want is a little respect to our decisions, and and understanding of why we are doing it. When the time comes we will talk about things we want to talk about. Until then, there is plenty of stuff you can talk about that doesn't relate to upcoming stuff, that has not been given permission to discuss.
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 07:02:30 am »

Like the cheese hat mode, its something no one can talk about.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 07:13:37 am »

PACKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up