GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 20, 2024, 09:49:30 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Will the scoring system be modified in any way for Beta 3?  (Read 18788 times)

Storm101

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Storm101 has no influence.
Will the scoring system be modified in any way for Beta 3?
« on: December 02, 2008, 06:47:30 am »

Because it's pretty lame how someone can enter a server 2 minutes before it ends, acquire a score of 3 kills and 0 deaths and end up in first place.

FReXx

• Tareyu Eyre
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.
    • Youtube Channel
Re: Will the scoring system be modified in any way for Beta 3?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 06:50:45 am »

It is true that it is as strange bug, but when the script is RANK activate it not really bother!
Released maps:
Download - Ge_Bunker_Nw - Updated for Ges 5.0

MastaGunZ

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 04:19:42 pm »

So is it broke or does it just not organize scores in any way?

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 04:53:10 pm »

what in the freakin hell are you guys talking about? Really im lost

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
  • PeskySaurus is looked down upon.
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 05:01:41 pm »

They are talking about how deaths are proportional to kills in power of score, which does seem silly for an online game. I have NO IDEA what the second poster put, that guy needs to learn fucking English, because whatever he just said, definitely wasn't.
"I got something deep inside of me, courage is the thing that KEEPS US FREE!" - If you don't know the source of this line, don't even bother talking to me you communist.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 05:12:41 pm »

Well, the  current system is sorted by Kill-death-ratio (KDR).
so someone with 3 kills and 0 deaths will be displayed above someone with higher scores but also higher deaths, unless this one got at least 3 times more kills then deaths.
I agree, it should be based on kills only.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 06:15:53 pm »

Are they talking about beta 1.1h because i dont recall any official version having for instance  3-0 on the scoreboard beating out a tally of 40-4

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 06:30:06 pm »

KDR is neat on the N64 version because you are there the whole time (theoretically.)

But having KDR on an online game would be like joining a Starcraft match mid game. Only reversed, (because the lack of deaths would be a huge advantage against everyone involved in combat.)

Are they talking about beta 1.1h because i dont recall any official version having for instance  3-0 on the scoreboard beating out a tally of 40-4

Likely, but not 3-0 beating 40-4. 3-0 beating 4-4 which is a completely unfair scenario if he simply got those non-death victory kills because he joined at the last minute. Or for instance, even if it was 15 kills and 17 deaths, so 15-17, the gyu that joins and gets 1-0 gets the victory. That's silly, given the nature of FPS online games.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 06:34:31 pm by PeskySaurus »
"I got something deep inside of me, courage is the thing that KEEPS US FREE!" - If you don't know the source of this line, don't even bother talking to me you communist.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Retired Lead Developer
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 07:31:09 pm »

I think thats to do with inside talks that "incentive" was needed for players who join half way through not to just leave for a different server in which they can stand a chance on the leaderboard, it could probly use some tightening if it favours newcomers over the stayers. Honestly i cant even tell you if it behaves like that right now internally because we just have fun haha :D, who cares whose winning pew pew
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 07:34:14 pm by Wake[of]theBunT »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 08:08:18 pm »

There is no consideration of KDR in Beta 3.

And due to round based gameplay, latecomers still have a chance @ the leader board on the map, win for all!

Next?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 08:13:29 pm by killermonkey »

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 11:09:35 pm »

There is no consideration of KDR in Beta 3.

And due to round based gameplay, latecomers still have a chance @ the leader board on the map, win for all!

Next?

Your first sentence makes it sound good, like it will actually be based like a real shooting game, then your second sentence completely turns that interpretation off. Then your third sentence makes you sound like a dick. I don't want to start a fight with you, I agree with pretty much all of your other posts, but you seem to be missing something.

I don't know why you can't see the balance difference caused by this score method in an online game. In about.... 100% of the successful online shooting games, the only negative score is caused by suicide or team killing on a team game. Kill and death proportioning each other is neat, but has a lot more negative consequences...  then simply following the standard shooting game score system... then positive. Locking games like StarCraft style wouldn't be a better option, it would be worse. Why aren't you listening to your fans? I wasn't even the creator of this topic.

Please pardon all of this if 1.1h is the only version to include all that I'm ranting about, but you came off too cocky I had to address it. If it's a misunderstanding, my bad, but you treat the topic creators point like its nothing, when it clearly is an issue in this game. I just explained it two separate ways in two separate posts. Much love and support, but listen to people that talk to you :/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:12:59 pm by PeskySaurus »

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 11:16:44 pm »

I think you misinterpreted his post.  Kdr isn't used to determine the game and round winner in beta 3.  I'm pretty sure the gameplay is round based, so the person who wins the most rounds will win the game.  So if you come into a dm server, and there are 5 rounds in a game, and you come in during the 2nd round and win the final 3, you can win the game even if you weren't there in the beginning, but there is no inherent advantage to coming in late, you just still had a chance to win as long as there are enough rounds remaining. 

What KM means is that in beta 3 it is round based, and kdr isn't used for score, so its all a moot point. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:19:30 pm by Konrad Beerbaum »
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 11:25:05 pm »

OH. well i apologize for being so aggressive, just was taken aback. could have had a bit more backstory in his post, but i apologize for getting grumpy about it.

Storm101

• 00 Agent
  • Storm101 has no influence.
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 11:51:49 pm »

So instead of KDR, Beta 3 is using round based gameplay? How will that work in this game?

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 11:51:52 pm »

Simple fix, you have to be in the match for a given amount of time (lets say 10 minutes) in order for your stats to be ranked. (10 minutes is just an example, not an actuality). But, Round based works just as well.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:54:30 pm by Sean [Baron] »
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up