GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 19, 2024, 09:31:40 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play free "Source" mods  (Read 10668 times)

JcFerggy

• Reputation Power: 87
  • JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
Play free "Source" mods
« on: November 28, 2008, 03:31:41 am »

According to the wiki, GoldenEye: Source requires "At least one Source Based game purchased and installed." I'm not 100% sure if this is true, since I don't know if the mod shares any files from CSS, HL2, or any of the episodes, but if it is ture, GoldenEye: Source (Along with any "open" source mod) just became more open to the public.

The most common graphic cards are either made by ATI or Nvidia, and both card types them have free Source games available for them. For those who have an ATI card, they can go here to get HL2: Lost Coast and HL2: Deathmatch. The others who have a Nvidia card can go here to get HL2: Loast Coast. HL2: Deathmatch, Portal: The First Slice (Which is now free), and Peggle Extreme.

~IN THEORY~, you could use the free demo "Portal: The First Slice" as your source game for those who don't have either an ATI or Nvidia card, but I have never tried since I bought HL2 when it first came out.

Hopefully this can help those who want to play this, but don't own any Source games. If this has been brought up before, I'm sorry, but it would be a good idea to add to the wiki so people know about it.

mbsurfer

• Inactive Tester
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.mbsurfer is a force to reckon with.
Re: Play free "Source" mods
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 03:34:12 am »

I can say that those are NOT scams, and that they ARE legit.  I got a second copy of HL2DM from it ;D

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 03:43:22 am »

According to the wiki, GoldenEye: Source requires "At least one Source Based game purchased and installed."
I wrote this :P, and this is totaly true! You need a source based game purchased. Nothing more, nothing less. GES do not share any file with CSS or HL2; it's a mod based on the source sdk base.
However, the above free offers you quote doesn't come with the source sdk base since... they are free! You need a purchased game.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category2=16

Storm101

• 00 Agent
  • Storm101 has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 03:46:59 am »

Yeah, I received HL2 Deathmatch from my graphics card but couldn't get Source SDK Base until I purchased a Source game.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 06:04:52 am »

just buy TF2 or CS:S, at 19$. If you're cheap, go for HL2:DM , 5$ LOL

I bet you spend way more on big games like COD/WoW that run up upwards of 50$ when they come out.

Mastix

• Agent
  • Mastix has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 06:46:40 am »

just buy TF2 or CS:S, at 19$. If you're cheap, go for HL2:DM , 5$ LOL

I bet you spend way more on big games like COD/WoW that run up upwards of 50$ when they come out.
Don't forget you can also buy Garry's Mod, which is awesome  ::)

Retro

• Agent
  • Retro has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 07:29:15 am »

TF just went down to 10 bucks for the weekend.  That might be a nice buy to get at the source action.

Garry's mod still have my vote  :P

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 01:25:59 pm »

Don't forget you can also buy Garry's Mod, which is awesome  ::)
Garrysmod needs another source based game purchased. You will never get the Source SDK with GMod.

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 01:49:57 pm »

Garrysmod needs another source based game purchased. You will never get the Source SDK with GMod.

You only need Source SDK Base, tho, to play mods.

Pretty sure base comes with gmod, its listed as a mod friendly purchase in the steamstore however yes only when linked to a more general valve release! Confusing indeed.

Just go with TF2 if you ONLY want to play GE:S releases. Its then in effect 10$ to play the game :P with a bonus of TF2 while you wait for beta3
Pages: [1]   Go Up