GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 20, 2024, 12:50:12 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: An idea for the knockout slapper mechanic  (Read 10065 times)

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
An idea for the knockout slapper mechanic
« on: June 08, 2008, 05:20:58 pm »

Well, this idea came up during an in-game discussion in GES. The idea that came up was that while the regular primary attack for the slapper would be a 3-second knockout hit, but there should be a secondary attack in which the player holds down the secondary fire button, and can "charge up" his slapper attack to knock out his opponents for longer period of time, such as 4-7 seconds, depending on how long the player has been charging up his secondary attack (Full charge could be something like ~5 seconds) so that the player has to time his attacks and use stealth techniques in order to get a good hit and get an easy kill while his opponent is unconscious.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
Re: An idea for the knockout slapper mechanic
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 05:28:55 pm »

slappers are gunna work just like they did in the n64

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 07:39:11 pm »

Ah, i see... I thought it was mentioned somewhere in the wiki that in an attempt to separate slappers from the hunting knife, the developers were going to try an idea where when slapped, the victim would be temporarily "knocked out", at which point they were not dead, and would wake up after a few seconds. During that time, the unconscious victim could be shot and injured in other ways.

http://dev.goldeneyesource.com/wiki/index.php/Slappers

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 11:58:19 pm »

What you have to understand is that the wiki discussions are almost 2 years old :P even over a 3 months timeframe this mods internal discussions can completely reverse and do little twirls and backflips about 5 times and hundreds of debatory posts find the devs all confused and undecided on a consensus unless the lead's say enough is enough its going to be like X.

So the easiest answer normally is "it will work like n64 did" or "play the mod, this is how X works and no plans to change" which may or may not be true by mod's end.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 02:53:58 pm »

Ah. I see. :)

GeneralOurumov

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • GeneralOurumov has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 07:08:06 pm »

in n64 it looks like bond just karate chops guards 2 death its messed

Grim

• Agent
  • Grim has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 09:58:37 pm »

Ahem.....

JUDO CHOP!

Cyan

• Secret Agent
  • Cyan has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 02:01:15 am »

One think I liked about the heavies punch in TF2 is you control which hand you punch with by which mouse button you click, though by the pace of the betas I don't expect the slappers to be a commonly used weapon.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 03:00:26 am »

Just an idea to throw out there... maybe it would be a good idea to not even have the player spawn with a hunting knife, but only slappers? In GE64, I remember almost never having the hunting knife... unless "all guns" was enabled. Personally, I always use slappers in GES though, because from what I've seen, it appears to be only slightly weaker, and it seems like it has a slightly better hit reg.

Cyan

• Secret Agent
  • Cyan has no influence.
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 12:29:20 am »

I think the initial reason the all players were starting with weapons was because of a map loadout issue or weapons collection issue.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 02:25:12 pm »

If slaps are going to work like in N64, you'll need to add a hitbox for it.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
  • PeskySaurus is looked down upon.
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 11:53:19 am »

I don't remember the N64 slappers causing bullet holes and sparks to fly everywhere on contact with metal. (I kid, I kid)
"I got something deep inside of me, courage is the thing that KEEPS US FREE!" - If you don't know the source of this line, don't even bother talking to me you communist.
Pages: [1]   Go Up