GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 21, 2024, 11:36:28 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: [Dev's Ask Fans] What do you want in Beta 3?  (Read 61582 times)

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • PeskySaurus is looked down upon.
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
Re: [Dev's Ask Fans] What do you want in Beta 3?
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2009, 03:35:53 pm »

Those weird ASCII symbols seem childish and poser anyway. Some of the best players in Halo PC play as "new001". Although that might just be to throw everyone off.

By the way, is "(" and ")" a character map? Cause I play as "RoyalAbidi(PeskySaurus)"
"I got something deep inside of me, courage is the thing that KEEPS US FREE!" - If you don't know the source of this line, don't even bother talking to me you communist.

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2009, 06:19:19 pm »

The problem is character encoding. Each character has a number, and you repsent them with codes.  Old systems used one byte and supported 256 character codes. Obviously that's not enough for all the languages in use, so a dozen coding systems have been created to encode higher numbers with multiple bytes.  If you feed one character encoding to a system that expects a different encoding, you get garbage.  That's what happened.

All the characters on a normal US keyboard are in the ASCII set and will always look right anywhere.  Extended ASCII (128-255) will fail if encoded to UTF-8 or similar and then rendered as Extended ASCII, because each Extended ASCII character would have been converted into two characters under UTF-8.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Sean [Baron]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Sean [Baron] has no influence.
    • GoldenEye: Source Official Site
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2009, 07:49:00 pm »

I know I read something about keyboards somewhere in there.....
/Sean "Baron" Stock
Director
sean@goldeneyesource.net

major

• On Vacation
  • Retired Developer
  • Reputation Power: 109
  • major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!major is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2009, 08:04:20 pm »

By the way, is "(" and ")" a character map? Cause I play as "RoyalAbidi(PeskySaurus)"

No, but something like this is what causes the freakout: Ӎḁ⌡ὊṜ

And thanks VC for educating the uneducated.

All view points are of my own and not associated with the team.

drukqaddik

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • drukqaddik has no influence.
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2009, 09:18:16 pm »

i was just bumbling around on a level and thought of something... in the ge64 ver if you shot the ammo boxes around they kept their position as well as the armor. if that was implemented it would bring back the nostalgia of the old game.   

i would also put my face on a char if you guys need.

VC

• Retired Developer
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2009, 09:19:27 pm »

Items return to their home positions when they've been disturbed.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2009, 09:26:18 pm »

Noticed this yesterday while I was playing in the Facility (not the classic version): on the room with the bulletproof glass windows, I shot my Cougar Magnum and, to my amaze, I saw no bullet hole on the other side! This should be fixed. I remember that in GE007 this weapon pierced anything, and it pierced the bulletproof glass twice (if you got the right angle). It would go through doors, crates, etc.

Probably it was from the server or something (was playing in one of the WNx servers, the LTK one); if not, then please enlighten this darkened mind.

drukqaddik

• 00 Agent
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2009, 09:32:08 pm »

something else i just noticed. on the egyptian (er spell) level, behind the secret passage where the turrets were in the hall, you have to jump to enter the 3 angled passages, if you have jumping disabled you cant enter them which poses a problem if you want the whole experience without the jumping.

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2009, 09:42:04 pm »

Penetration is on the to-do list.

Jumping-off gameplay issues with Egyptian are currently being reviewed.

drukqaddik

• 00 Agent
« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2009, 09:50:34 pm »

awesome

PPK

• Reputation Power: 26
  • PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.PPK is on the verge of being accepted.
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2009, 10:12:40 pm »

Thanks for the info, Viashino Cutthroat. I kind of missed the Magnum's stopping power on Beta 1.1. Now I know it will actually be a useful weapon!

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2009, 10:37:49 pm »

It does proper damage now.  I'm hoping penetration will make B4, but there are some goofy complications because Valve penetration is a workaround that doesn't play friendly with some of our new code.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2009, 12:05:16 am »

As for the crazy names, the OB code does a good job at containing that craziness. Since all names are derived from your Steam Name it must pass their filters to get into the game. As for the VGUI elements, everything is done in UNICODE so all characters you can see in a browser will show in the game, whether the font supports EVERY character or not is another story. So if you see a bunch of boxes in your name or in chat, the font doesn't support that letter (please change it!)

VC

• Retired Developer
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2009, 12:22:03 am »

But your skill in a game is determined by the total value of the code points of all the characters in your name.  So like me, my power level is a crummy 1719, but if you have six arabic characters, your power level is over Nine THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAAND!

PeskySaurus

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • PeskySaurus is looked down upon.
    • NUKEMAN & Kittyboy
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2009, 09:41:31 pm »

i have never agreed with VC more
"I got something deep inside of me, courage is the thing that KEEPS US FREE!" - If you don't know the source of this line, don't even bother talking to me you communist.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up