GoldenEye: Source Forums

• October 20, 2024, 08:35:04 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: cutscenes and other things  (Read 14617 times)

GeneralOurumov

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • GeneralOurumov has no influence.
cutscenes and other things
« on: July 11, 2008, 04:42:04 am »

i can give u reasons to add cutscenes between levels

wen you kill xenia u have no idea why. what is happening? whos the bad guy? why do you kill them?
cutscenes are the answer
and we need to make them talk in cutscenes
if u guys approve of this, i can make killer cutscenes, and someone can animate them

and like in the dam, when you go back and it says the door is locked, it should say something like
bond your here for a reason. get to work! sumthing like that

well reply so i no

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
Re: cutscenes and other things
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 12:29:34 pm »

Cutscenes would be for single player, huh? Goldeneye: Source is multiplayer only.

GeneralOurumov

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 07:05:45 pm »

wwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Grim

• Agent
  • Grim has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 09:46:24 pm »

wwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

It's like you read my mind.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 10:21:26 pm »

The whole idea of the mod was always to bring he greatness of GE64's multiplayer to a more modern engine, and so far it's turning out pretty well. Singleplayer seems to be one of the developers' lower priorities, and could turn out being done by the community, or some other third-party method.

Quote from: the "about" page on the main site:
We want you to look at this mod and remember the first best multiplayer first-person shooter ever made.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 10:23:46 pm by The SSL »
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Shaken not Stirred

• 00 Agent
  • Shaken not Stirred is looked down upon.
    • FP.tk
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 03:13:22 am »

Give them time to fix the multiplayer, then we can worry about the single-player.

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 05:25:40 pm »

if u guys approve of this, i can make killer cutscenes, and someone can animate them
As people said, its multiplayer only, so cut scenes aren't needed.

Out of curiosity, if we already have character and environment models, and someone else is animating them, and we have sound guys, what exactly would you be doing?  How do you make a killer cutscene if you can't animate?
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

GeneralOurumov

• Agent
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 07:36:14 am »

well i have ideas durrr

FReXx

• Tareyu Eyre
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.FReXx is a force to reckon with.
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 09:47:45 am »

well i have ideas durrr

Imagine a single player mod with all the same maps as goldeneye: Source but 20 to complete. It would be nice to put a mod coop, for example, with Natalya! I hope that the creator of one good idea in this genre there!
Released maps:
Download - Ge_Bunker_Nw - Updated for Ges 5.0

thewepper

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 10:00:52 pm »

"Give them time to fix the multiplayer, then we can worry about the single-player."

You're wrong. Keep reading.

"As people said, its multiplayer only, so cut scenes aren't needed."

First of all, people like you are a negative influence. Tell me this Oh God of Infinate Wisdom: If it's multiplayer only, then why when I get on GES, are there no people playing? hmmm? If it's sooo great, why is there nobody on? Why aren't you playing? (O players on 5 different servers.)
Obviously the multiplayer aspect isn't getting the job done. The only way people are going to identify with this mod is
to include a complete and accurate singleplayer campaign true to the original. Anything less will take respect and credibility away from this mod. Once there is a completed singleplayer, it would be VERY EASY to create a multiplayer out of that. Basically, creating a singleplayer campaign allows for the multiplayer aspect to be developed rather easily and quickly as most of the ground work will be out of the way.
Again, if your multiplayer theory is so great, explain why THERE ARE 0 PEOPLE PLAYING? NO ONE IS PLAYING THIS!!!!

What can be done?
For instance, The facility classic level does a really good job of recreating the original...
How hard can it be to throw in a couple of bots and objectives? The entire game script/sequence of events/plot has already been written. YOU GUYS DON'T NEED TO CREATE A STORY, OR A SCRIPT!!! It's all been done for you.
Half of the levels have been designed (for source). This team has it's priorities mixed up. A solid singleplayer recreation is really the best way of not only getting people into this mod, but to respect it.

I say create those badass cutscenes and tell all these multiplayer-only/pompous/arrogant/don't-even-play-the-online-part/assholes to shove it. They're ruining this mod.

Shaken not Stirred

• 00 Agent
  • Shaken not Stirred is looked down upon.
    • FP.tk
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 04:17:33 am »

"Give them time to fix the multiplayer, then we can worry about the single-player."

First of all, people like you are a negative influence. Tell me this Oh God of Infinate Wisdom: If it's multiplayer only, then why when I get on GES, are there no people playing? hmmm? If it's sooo great, why is there nobody on? Why aren't you playing? (O players on 5 different servers.)
Obviously the multiplayer aspect isn't getting the job done. The only way people are going to identify with this mod is
to include a complete and accurate singleplayer campaign true to the original. Anything less will take respect and credibility away from this mod. Once there is a completed singleplayer, it would be VERY EASY to create a multiplayer out of that. Basically, creating a singleplayer campaign allows for the multiplayer aspect to be developed rather easily and quickly as most of the ground work will be out of the way.
Again, if your multiplayer theory is so great, explain why THERE ARE 0 PEOPLE PLAYING? NO ONE IS PLAYING THIS!!!!

What can be done?
For instance, The facility classic level does a really good job of recreating the original...
How hard can it be to throw in a couple of bots and objectives? The entire game script/sequence of events/plot has already been written. YOU GUYS DON'T NEED TO CREATE A STORY, OR A SCRIPT!!! It's all been done for you.
Half of the levels have been designed (for source). This team has it's priorities mixed up. A solid singleplayer recreation is really the best way of not only getting people into this mod, but to respect it.

I say create those badass cutscenes and tell all these multiplayer-only/pompous/arrogant/don't-even-play-the-online-part/assholes to shove it. They're ruining this mod.
This is my prodigy right here.

Shaken not Stirred Jr., master troll.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 04:32:17 am »

Honestly "thewepper", have you ever even downloaded the Source SDK? If not, then please shut up. If you have, you obviously haven't done anything with it otherwise you wouldn't be touting how "easy" it is to do things. Leave the development to the developers, we respect your ideas, but do not comment on things you have no clue about.

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 05:37:50 am »

What can be done?

You can't be serious.  Sure, multiplayer would be easier if the single player part was already done.  The only problem with that is that you'd have to create the single player to begin with! Do you have any idea of the time and effort that takes.  Let me enlighten you on what it would take to create singleplayer.  So you have the script and plot. You're halfway there!

Now you just have to model characters, you have to uv map characters, you have to texture characters, you have to rig characters, you have to animate characters, you have to compile characters, you have to program the characters into the game, you have to design and program a menu system to put the characters into the game, you have to model props, you have to uv map props, you have to texture props, you have to compile props, you have to recreate level blueprints, you have to layout levels, you have to model parts of levels, you have to texture levels, you have to light levels, you have to create soundscapes for levels, you have to create custom sounds, you have to create character voices, you have to create custom music, you have to program all of the sound and music into the game, you have to model weapons, you have to texture weapons, you have to uv map weapons, you have to create hand models to go with the weapons, you have to rig the hands and weapons, you have to animate the hands and weapons, you have to create fire effects for the weapons, you have to compile the weapons, you have to design and program a weapon selection system, you have to program the enemy characters so they have artificial intelligence and can react intelligently to a ton of different situations.  Now go through that process for 20 levels, 30 characters, 25 weapons, and maybe 100 props. I left out most of the programming tasks since I'm not a programmer, so with all that you're probably 2/3's done.

I work full time as a game developer.  At a game studio it takes 60 people about 2 years working 50 hours a week to create a current-game like this.  And even then, Goldeneye has a pretty ridiculous number of weapons and characters compared to most current-gen games.  Now say you have 10 people who can only work 2 hours a day on it, and thats being generous. How long do you think it would take?

Single player isn't a realistic goal. I'm sorry for being a negative influence.  Ignorance is bliss I suppose. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 05:41:15 am by Konrad Beerbaum »
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

FlyBMXer4130

• Grammar Nazi
  • Secret Agent
  • FlyBMXer4130 has no influence.
    • My Face
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 06:28:48 am »

...your comment just gets more stupid from there.

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 05:47:25 pm »

Let me enlighten you on what it would take to create singleplayer.  So you have the script and plot. You're halfway there!

Now you just have to model characters, you have to uv map characters, you have to texture characters, you have to rig characters, you have to animate characters, you have to compile characters, you have to program the characters into the game, you have to design and program a menu system to put the characters into the game, you have to model props, you have to uv map props, you have to texture props, you have to compile props, you have to recreate level blueprints, you have to layout levels, you have to model parts of levels, you have to texture levels, you have to light levels, you have to create soundscapes for levels, you have to create custom sounds, you have to create character voices, you have to create custom music, you have to program all of the sound and music into the game, you have to model weapons, you have to texture weapons, you have to uv map weapons, you have to create hand models to go with the weapons, you have to rig the hands and weapons, you have to animate the hands and weapons, you have to create fire effects for the weapons, you have to compile the weapons, you have to design and program a weapon selection system
Well, you need to do that for multiplayer as well.

The main advantage, imo, in creating a multiplayer modification is that you don't need to bother with enemy AI (with only 1 programmer, it's not a bad thing...), and you can release some playable betas with less material (skins, weaps, props, and obviously levels), this helping the mod to gain interest and attract new developers.

And, yea "thewepper", it would be rather easy to create a MP from a SP... but you'll need to create a SP from scratch, which would take wayyyyy to much time a ressources for a mod team that works on spare time. And it's easier to create a community around a MP mod.
That's why most (if not all) successful game modifications are MP. Just quote one, only one, successful SP mod. There's none...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 05:49:31 pm by Doc.NO »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up