GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 11:04:55 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: March 03, 2008 - Orange Boxes?  (Read 11999 times)

Anthony

• GES Plugin Coder
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Anthony has no influence.
March 03, 2008 - Orange Boxes?
« on: March 04, 2008, 07:45:26 am »

Hey guys,
Today I spent most of my time, including the time I was supposed to be spending with my girlfriend, porting the code over to cleaned up version of the Orange Box SDK. For those of you that don't know what that means: HDR, Jiggle boobs, and more. This wasn't just Valve's version of the SDK, I decided to use our friends at Allied Mods' version. Whenever Valve releases an SDK, they clean it up, make it GCC 4.2 compliant, make it run better for people will older hardware, and even do something that Valve would never do: support it. At first it was a simple port, which alone took a couple hours to copy over the files and make sure to include any modified base code, as well as our implementation of LUA. The code compiled perfectly, but when starting a server it acted strange. The game would just return to the main menu, and spit two lines out in console, this is much better than a crash though. The lines were like this:
Missing RecvProp for DT_TEEffectDispatch - DT_EffectData/m_vOrigin
Host_EndGame: CL_ParseClassInfo_EndClasses: CreateDecoders failed.

It was strange, since the code was basically just the base with our files on top of the base system. It turned out to be a bug in the SDK, but guess what, Allied Mods' DamagedSoul and I tracked it down (mostly him while I watched Reno 911). Figures that he would be the one finding bugs in Valve's code. What does this say? Valve doesn't test their code enough. It seems silly to release something without testing, and I am sure we haven't been the best with that thus far, but seriously, its Valve! Anyway, Natalya's boobs might come to life before you guys know it. :)
Your coder,
Anthony Iacono

Loafie, Hero of Dreams

• Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Loafie, Hero of Dreams has no influence.
Re: March 03, 2008 - Orange Boxes?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 07:52:01 am »

i love how jiggle bones has mutated into jiggleboobs
maps in production: ge_temple maps released: ge_caves, ge_complex, ge_complex_classic
Loafie, Hero of Dreams is watching Big Love
fourtecks: you are watching basstronix?

irfman

• Secret Agent
  • irfman is looked down upon.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 04:15:36 pm »

If they still Jiggle, then I have no problem.  :P

CCsaint10

• Nickname: "Saint"
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!CCsaint10 is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 07:14:00 pm »

wait..so is this a port over you are doing or did you start completely from scratch and you got this error? I know in the update you guys said you were starting from scratch so I was a little confused.

Brings back memories, doesn't it? :D

Anthony

• GES Plugin Coder
  • Secret Agent
  • Anthony has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 08:12:01 pm »

It is the starting from scratch, sorry for not noting that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up