GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 20, 2024, 05:34:17 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The game is too fast paced  (Read 9026 times)

safariplanet

The game is too fast paced
« on: December 26, 2007, 05:45:17 am »

Does anyone else think this game feels too much like Counter Strike, and not enough like Goldeneye? Obviously there's a reason for this but will it always be so fast-paced? I will never forget that original Goldeneye feel, and this mod plays about twice as fast as the N64 game even when the C-buttons were used (^_^).

Lovin the mod, sorry if this has been covered before.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
Re: The game is too fast paced
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 09:36:31 am »

IMO it's not faster, the oposite is the case. Levelarchitecture is enlarged a bit, this makes it fel a bit slower then the original.
I'm play the original sinche 10 jears now, last weekend also did it, and i tell you, it's not slower then the mod.

EduCatOR

• The OG
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • EduCatOR has no influence.
    • The Gravel Pit
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 09:50:31 am »

Agreed, what Kraid said along with bigger matches will probably make it seem like a much faster, intense game. We had a lot of 8-10 player games going...got pretty darn intense. I think those that come from a quake background definitely have an advantage over those that don't, but that should be only in the beginning. Having the aim key very accessible, especially during gun battles, is also very helpful IMO. I kind of feel as though this is a bit faster paced as far as DM goes...but I really don't mind it one bit.

InvertedShadow

• Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • InvertedShadow has no influence.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 07:03:49 pm »

I personally think it's too fast. Goldeneye wasn't meant to be Quake. I don't know if the unofficial 1.1 included my changes to player speed though.

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 07:19:25 pm »

As far as I know, player speed in the unofficial 1.1 is the same as the 1.0 .

Wake[of]theBunT

• Former [PR/SFX/Webmaster]
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 108
  • Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!Wake[of]theBunT is awe-inspiring!
    • Goldeneye Source
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2007, 11:03:22 pm »

I personally think it's too fast. Goldeneye wasn't meant to be Quake. I don't know if the unofficial 1.1 included my changes to player speed though.

neg, he didnt change that, since thats an "official" team initiative for 2.0, which he respected.

I agree, biggest factor isnt feel, its gameplay and fairness ; the faster you run, the worse hit reg is, i think LOTS of things should be done to slow down play. Running speed - and physics speed too, ie jumping agility, w/e can be done should be in effect so goldeneye: source is a calculated run n gun aim-fest.

Not a "i jump for a living to evade lagging bullets, lulcheap tactics-fest"

Or maybe ill just make all my servers (when i bring em back) jump enable ZERO so fucks cant hop around using 270ms netcode's to their advantage :P I personally only use jump as a means of getting to battles faster, and my scores always reflect that choice since im versing cheapwhores. kthxbai :P

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2007, 11:12:27 pm »

Or maybe ill just make all my servers (when i bring em back) jump enable ZERO

Hello Wake.
http://www.youtube.com/v/cNPOdffkkLo&rel=1

LOL. For a good time, ge_paintb.... ge_allowjump 1
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 02:59:40 am by Doc.NO »

WNxSauron

• Agent
  • WNxSauron has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 12:40:45 am »

You've ruined my christmas..i was hoping for rocket jumping-fest alá quake...

Its good to know you have a hobby outside server maintenance Bad

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 01:20:18 pm »

IMO:
1. Quake is much faster then GES.
2. Jumping should be disabled in Classic maps (and only there)
3. latency is a problem but not that big. Once the community is big enought, there should be servers with a good ping for everyone.

EduCatOR

• The OG
  • Secret Agent
  • EduCatOR has no influence.
    • The Gravel Pit
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 05:32:47 pm »

I was just using quake as an example because people that have grown up on quake/quakelike games usually own pretty good @ slower fps' like GE:S. I see a lot of people run to a point, stop, and then begin shooting at the enemy. The hit registration works pretty well when you're not even moving!  :P

Rail gun via GE:S!? GOLDEN!!!!!

I still think that having larger matches is the main reason people feel its so fast paced. Play in a four person game and it seems pretty slow/boring (I forgot how much running around was done in GE64), up it to ten people and the matches get crazy intense.

I hope the game doesnt get slowed down any.

Edu
Pages: [1]   Go Up