GoldenEye: Source Forums

• September 22, 2024, 08:26:37 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will this be done for GE:S?  (Read 9930 times)

Sporkfire

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Sporkfire has no influence.
Will this be done for GE:S?
« on: September 23, 2007, 01:44:54 am »

At least in my opinion, GE:S and most other shooters are missing something that makes a good shooter. I'm talking about how your guns and screen would shake. I don't know about you but it really pulls me out of the game without these. I feel more like a turret or on a rail than a person blasting left and right blowing crap up, it also plays a big part in multi since your bullets never went in perfect straight lines as they do now. So my question is will screen shake and weapon bob ever be put in? or are they even important to you guys, anybody feel like something big is missing; or am I just crazy?  :o :o :o

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
Re: Will this be done for GE:S?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 01:48:55 am »

Breathing Effect should be do-able.  Gun animations, likewise.  But Goldeneye is very much a turret game.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 02:37:36 am »

Well in GE64, when you got shot it showed the health bars and you would get knocked backwards. It was pretty shocking/disorientating when you got hit.  I'm not sure if that is going to be implemented or not. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

VC

• Valiant Varanidæ, Citrus Jockey
  • Retired Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 16
  • VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.VC is working their way up.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 02:49:28 am »

I've seen it in CSS, and it caused a lot of trouble.  I'd say it's do-able, but would take plenty of testing and shouldn't be a top priority.
"As for VC's scripts they have not broken the game at all, in fact the game has never felt better." -- KM
"(03:12:41 PM) KM: I would call you a no life loser, but you are useful"
"(03:12:59 PM) VC: Go ahead.  I am, and I am."

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 10:55:33 pm »

At least in my opinion, GE:S and most other shooters are missing something that makes a good shooter. I'm talking about how your guns and screen would shake. I don't know about you but it really pulls me out of the game without these. I feel more like a turret or on a rail than a person blasting left and right blowing crap up, it also plays a big part in multi since your bullets never went in perfect straight lines as they do now. So my question is will screen shake and weapon bob ever be put in? or are they even important to you guys, anybody feel like something big is missing; or am I just crazy?  :o :o :o

the crazy thing is, the original GE64 was envisioned as a shooter on rails. its initial concept was to be virtual cop on rails going through the levels. were going to try to do things that can help put the player into a more realistic type of feeling game, stuff like breathing and things like that.

leaving things as a shooter on rails kind of brings a more nostalgic feel, so its a balancing act for immersion, and nostalgia.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Sporkfire

• Retired Developer
  • 00 Agent
  • Sporkfire has no influence.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 01:40:06 am »

the crazy thing is, the original GE64 was envisioned as a shooter on rails. its initial concept was to be virtual cop on rails going through the levels. were going to try to do things that can help put the player into a more realistic type of feeling game, stuff like breathing and things like that.

leaving things as a shooter on rails kind of brings a more nostalgic feel, so its a balancing act for immersion, and nostalgia.

Nice to hear that, it's a huge part of the game. But how is it going to be done? Scripted, Coded, animated? Will screen shake fudge you're shooting, I hope so....

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 08:07:34 am »

i know for sure screen shake wouldn't fudge up the shooting. that was something the devs talked about with weapon recoil. the whole feel of GE64 was that bond was a super steady handed super spy. and if we had lots of recoil affecting the shots, it makes things feel a bit to much like CS which isn't the direction we want to go.

small detail things like shaking the screen and does it affect the shooting, are really difficult nit picky design decisions that we are working through a lot of the time. the team eventually picks a direction to go then we release, and hope the community digs it.

I'm not sure exactly how something like screen shake gets done, but i think its a combination of code, and animation, or it could be just straight code.
the way i want screen shake to work, is sort of in a semi realistic way, to have mild screen shake around things like explosions, or when getting hit really hard from gunshots. but to have the recoil from the gun work really fluidly and smoothly so it doesn't feel like your going out of control when you hold the trigger down on the RCP90. half the fun of the original game is just dumping your clip at an opponent, and not having to really worry about recoil.

right now the team hasn't really talked to much about how screen shake is going to work out, cause we are getting ready for the episode 2 update, which hopefully wont total kill the mod like the infamous multifire causing SDK update.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

Cyan

• Secret Agent
  • Cyan has no influence.
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 01:38:38 pm »

Do things like chair and other non-volatile objects explode? I know it was more of a solo player thing, but I was hoping it might have at least a few places had it worked in since so much of the only single player only maps had a large amount of material that did.

FlyBMXer4130

• Grammar Nazi
  • Secret Agent
  • FlyBMXer4130 has no influence.
    • My Face
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 06:13:39 pm »

....or are they even important to you guys, anybody feel like something big is missing; or am I just crazy?  :o :o :o

Yes (you are crazy).

r0cko

• Agent
  • r0cko has no influence.
    • r0cko
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2007, 03:12:51 am »

I liked the way the objects exploded in the original, keep getting darker until *boom*.... Random polychunks disappear from it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up