GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 10:40:28 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Designer  (Read 9146 times)

fixion

Music Designer
« on: November 29, 2010, 12:52:14 am »

Hello. I am applying for the 'Music Designer' job. I attend Columbia College in Chicago where I'm a senior majoring in music composition. However, before college, I attended a private performing arts school called Walnut Hill located in Natick, Mass with a focus on classical/jazz percussion.

You can listen to some of my work here:

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreylyons/ - recent music
http://www.youtube.com/fix1on - older music

A short film I scored a couple years ago > http://www.youtube.com/user/jbmak00#p/u/10/-s1-1qDfr8U

Recently sold a track called 'glass house' to a female vocalist http://apps.facebook.com/reverbnation_fb/artist/sarahvanwyk
(scroll down track list on left side to hear a clip)

All tracks made with Reason 4.0 and an Axiom61 midi

Contact me at jeffrey.lyons@loop.colum.edu or http://www.facebook.com/fix1on

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Music Designer
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 01:05:10 am »

Sorry dude I am not digging it at all. Your music is very staccato and linear, not to mention screams MIDI.

Also, we are not looking for a music designer at this time.

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 03:02:32 am »

Your music is very staccato and linear, not to mention screams MIDI.

Agreed, although I'm a little unsure of which piece you were referring to when you mentioned "staccato."

Is this the type of music that you normally work on for your degree?  I'd be interesting to see what sort of voice you have in a more contemporary genre.  I mention this because the music that you seem to have set aside for games just grooves...

It's ok, but it lacks direction, motion, spark, zazz! - specifically the stuff on sound cloud.

For the Mid Eastern Theme, it was more like, Mid Eastern Theme + variations over a ground bass.  Traditionally, sitars do not use an Even Tempered scale, so having a sitar play a full natural minor scale is a little goofy.

"Parrot" just had a lot of clipping issues - those could be fixed by re-mastering.

"The End" was similar in style to the other two - sort of minimalistic in it's groove approach.  The oboe came out of nowhere...was that planned?  Also, the violin is a great instrument to play up high, but it has other registers that could also be exploited.

I'm not sure if you've had time to check out Goldeneye Source's OST, but if you get a chance, have a listen and check out the types of textures that they use - how they employ various effects and envelopes to achieve various timbre that create musical direction.

That all being said, I'm curious to hear other things that you've written - in a more "traditional" approach as it were (what you'd write for your private lessons.)

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 03:30:16 am »

I think you have great potential as a composer and music designer. What you have is good, but not fully explored. You've a lot of potential and definitely a good degree of skill in terms of your ability. I'm sure there are plenty of other projects and mods who could benefit greatly from your work.

Don't feel too bummed out, GE:S does already have 3 great composers who work in the industry and have extensive experience and a well established style. At this point anyone who applied to be a 4th would be turned down.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 03:37:40 am »

By staccato I meant like not flowing, not the literal staccato in a musical sense, haha

fixion

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 04:04:18 am »

Thanks for the critiques and advice. It was actually my fault posting in the first place; I didn't realize you guys were looking for remixes of goldeneye music and I also realized that after looking through posts you already had enough music composers. But hey it's all good. Good luck to you guys and the mod.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 05:22:07 am »

It never hurts to post, you may have something to offer that we didn't know we needed.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

Jonathan [Spider]

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Jonathan [Spider] has no influence.
    • Jonathan Scott Art
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 11:05:59 pm »

I would totally recommend getting in touch with our sound guys to see if they can take you under their wing to mentor you.
if your REALLY nice, one of them might throw you a bone and help you out.
Fonfa
"making out with ugly girls builds character"
"getting the ugly girls then the pretty ones makes you feel like leveling up in an rpg game"

SLX- i'm having a problem
Spider2544 - if you need me to bury a hooker, i can be there in 20 mins with my shovel
SLX - bring condoms

fixion

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 02:09:01 am »

I'll take that into consideration, thanks.

jjmusicnotes

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 03:59:32 am »

By staccato I meant like not flowing, not the literal staccato in a musical sense, haha

Haha, ok, I gotcha. ;)

basstronix

• Music Composer
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!basstronix has great potential!
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 10:12:17 am »

The first thing I noticed when I opened your soundcloud page was the waveforms... and how they're not dynamic at all. Your music lacks any attempt at proper mixing and suffers the same problem my older stuff did. You bring in elements, get rid of them, bring in more, etc. without paying much attention to variance. Fade things in and out, filter things to eliminate spectral overlapping, and put some more thought into the spatial aspect of the instruments. This will help you get out of that "midi-ish" sound.

Good job on applying though. I wouldn't necessarily turn down everyone that applied just because there are already three of us; if I'm blown away, then there's definitely room for more variety. No harm in having 4 tracks per map :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 10:14:04 am by basstronix »
Pages: [1]   Go Up