GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 02:48:14 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running multiple clients of GES?  (Read 10703 times)

Feyla

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Feyla has no influence.
Running multiple clients of GES?
« on: February 25, 2015, 12:46:10 pm »

Hi,

When I downloaded GES the other day I was hoping it would have a split screen mode but unfortunately it doesn't. So an alternative will be to run multiple clients of GES and connect them all to the same LAN game, but I'm having trouble running the game more than once. When I try within steam, I get the error "Failed to start, app already running".

I've tried to launch the game outside of steam but I can't find the .exe file, if I could find this I'm sure I will be able to run multiple clients.

Can anyone help please?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
Re: Running multiple clients of GES?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 02:11:45 pm »

This is not supported.

Feyla

• Agent
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 04:55:28 pm »

This is not supported.

Thanks for letting me know.

May I suggest adding either split-screen mode or support for running multiple clients to allow us to play local multiplayer?

The best part about Goldeneye 64 was playing with your friends in the same room, playing online isn't the same. It's a shame GES doesn't have a way of doing this.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 05:25:50 pm »

Engine limitation.  Source only let l4d have that feature and it was a leftover from the xbox conversion.
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 06:06:04 pm »

You can have a LAN game with GES just like with any other PC Multiplayer game.

Ofc. the setup is also the same: several PCs/laptops connected to a router either via LAN cables or WiFi.
(if you don't know how to set this up, either ask a friend who knows or Google)

Since this is a mod based on the Source engine, you'll also need a own steam account with the free source SDK base 2007 installed on every machine. Using one account on several machines at the same time won't work.
If someone doesn't have a steam account (are there still some out there?), all he/she needs is a valid email adress and the steam client installer (google) to create one for free.

Next there are several possibilities to create a LAN server.

1. one of the clients is hosting a so called listen server through the ingame "create a server" menue
- best possibility for a quick game where the host is taking part himself
- using the most powerfull machine in the room to host the server is recomended

2. create a dedicated server with the srcds
- takes some time for setup, so i'd recomend doing this before the LAN party
- again either host it on the most powerfull machine or dedicate a whole PC just for server hosting
- depending on the setup, the DS doesn't need a own steam account, so it's possible to run the DS and a steam client at the same time.

If you really want the splitscreen experience, you might be able to place the monitors/laptops next to each other and connect every player via controller. (you can use joypads with GES too)

Feyla

• Agent
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 09:24:37 am »

You can have a LAN game with GES just like with any other PC Multiplayer game.

Ofc. the setup is also the same: several PCs/laptops connected to a router either via LAN cables or WiFi.
(if you don't know how to set this up, either ask a friend who knows or Google)

Since this is a mod based on the Source engine, you'll also need a own steam account with the free source SDK base 2007 installed on every machine. Using one account on several machines at the same time won't work.
If someone doesn't have a steam account (are there still some out there?), all he/she needs is a valid email adress and the steam client installer (google) to create one for free.

Next there are several possibilities to create a LAN server.

1. one of the clients is hosting a so called listen server through the ingame "create a server" menue
- best possibility for a quick game where the host is taking part himself
- using the most powerfull machine in the room to host the server is recomended

2. create a dedicated server with the srcds
- takes some time for setup, so i'd recomend doing this before the LAN party
- again either host it on the most powerfull machine or dedicate a whole PC just for server hosting
- depending on the setup, the DS doesn't need a own steam account, so it's possible to run the DS and a steam client at the same time.

If you really want the splitscreen experience, you might be able to place the monitors/laptops next to each other and connect every player via controller. (you can use joypads with GES too)

I knew this, but thanks :P

The problem is that we only have one PC in the house, which is why I wanted to run multiple clients on the same PC and connect them to the same LAN server. Then play in windowed mode, and play on my 50" TV. This method works well for other games, I have done it successfully with other PC games: Unreal Tournament, Call of Duty, Call of Duty 4, Left 4 Dead 2, and a few more.

If there's any chance you can add the ability to run multiple clients on one PC I'd appreciate it, can't hurt can it? :P

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 11:28:44 am »

Maybe try this:

Feyla

• Agent
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 12:19:11 pm »

Maybe try this:

That's pretty much the exact same thing I do for Left 4 Dead, the only problem is that I can't find the executable for GES to launch it outside of steam, can you tell me where it is?

When I try to run a 2nd GES client I get the error "Failed to start, app already running", even after closing the singleton mutex.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 12:27:29 pm by Feyla »

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 02:20:22 pm »

C:\[PATH_TO_STEAM]\Steam\SteamApps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\hl2.exe -game "C:\[PATH_TO_STEAM]\Steam\SteamApps\Sourcemods\gesource"

That should be your command line to actually start GES, replace [PATH_TO_STEAM] with wherever steam is installed (typically Program Files)

Feyla

• Agent
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 08:46:22 am »

C:\[PATH_TO_STEAM]\Steam\SteamApps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\hl2.exe -game "C:\[PATH_TO_STEAM]\Steam\SteamApps\Sourcemods\gesource"

That should be your command line to actually start GES, replace [PATH_TO_STEAM] with wherever steam is installed (typically Program Files)

Am I doing this right? I created a shortcut of hl2.exe in the Source SDK Base 2007 directory, and changed the target to reflect what you said, the path is exactly this: "E:\Steam Games\SteamApps\common\Source SDK Base 2007\hl2.exe" -game "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\sourcemods\gesource"

(yes I have 2 locations for steam games)

When I run that shortcut a window titled Goldeneye source (v4.2) opens but I get an error "Can't find background image materials/console/startup_loading.vtf"

Any ideas?

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 01:26:28 pm »

you have to set the "Target Directory" to the gesource directory.

Feyla

• Agent
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 06:06:01 pm »

you have to set the "Target Directory" to the gesource directory.

Hmm, I just tried that but it turns the shortcut into a shortcut to the gesource folder.

Can you please clarify exactly what is meant to be in the 'Target' and 'Start in' fields of the hl2.exe shortcut?

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 11:16:18 pm »

"Target" is the executable path and launch options. "Start in" is the path of your gesource folder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up