GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 08:20:54 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How To Add Bots To Maps  (Read 8637 times)

markpeterjameslegg

• Did I fire six shots? Or only five?
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 202
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
How To Add Bots To Maps
« on: October 11, 2014, 08:53:04 pm »

I've been searching around, not just on the forums, but the wiki as well but can't find any info on the subject. I know how to access Node Edit in game and have the controls from the Node_Edit.cfg but when it comes to actually putting these functions into practice I am completely in the dark as to how they work, also there's no mention of saving changes in the config. Would anyone be able to give me some help on this as there a few great maps I would like to play on like ge_garrison, ge_ica_event,  ge_void_a1 & ge_pipes_a1 etc. Any help would be much appreciated, and of course I'll upload any work I complete.

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
Re: How To Add Bots To Maps
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 09:11:12 pm »

Our AI navigates using info_node entities.

They should be placed in corners and junctions in maps. They operate by using a basic line of sight system. (read the SDK documentation wiki above for a good description on how that works)

Example: If 2 nodes can see eachother they create a corridor of navigation. If 4 nodes can see eachother they create a navigable 'room' of sorts. A hexagonal room would need 6 nodes, one in each corner for correct navigation, and so on.

Note: All player spawns MUST be able to see a node, otherwise any AI that spawns there will be unable to navigate.

Here is a good tutorial for basic placement.Watch this.

This tutorial also covers how to debug and edit nodes in realtime, with Hammer open the nodes will be added to the .VMF file. .AIN files are generated by the server on map start based off the nodes found in the .BSP file. .AIN files can be used to hotfix AI issues without needing to include map files.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
  • markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!markpeterjameslegg is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 11:03:33 pm »

Wow... Thanks Mangley, I'll have a go at this tomorrow  :)

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 01:49:24 pm »

Finally got round to looking at the vid, but it's for adding bots within Hammer. I'm trying to add bots within Goldeneye Source itself using "exec node_edit", I get that you place the nodes using Mouse 1, but how do I connect them and test them, for example, spawning a bot and testing their manoeuvres in realtime, also saving my changes out so that next time I load the map the nodes are in place.

EDIT: Sorry to be a pain... But I'm a noob at this :)

Mangley

• No Longer Leads The Art
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 270
  • Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!Mangley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 05:22:45 pm »

Nodes should automatically connect to eachother using line of sight. If a node connection is green it should be fine. Red indicates a disconnected node. (IIRC)

You can spawn bots with ge_bot and they should be able to navigate new nodes as long as they are connected. I've not used the in-game node editor in a long time. Maybe someone else can weigh in.
Concept Artist, Environment Artist, Effects Artist, Sound Designer

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 03:50:47 pm »

OK... It looks like no one has a clue how to help, but at the very least can anyone tell me how to save nodes? I'll try to pick up the rest myself.

Peroxwhy?gen

• GE:S Lifer
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 20
  • Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...Peroxwhy?gen might someday be someone...
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 06:40:04 pm »

Okay so you want to just add bots? Just do it in game it is very simple to get done very quickly.

1. Open your console and add this to the console

ge_node_start

Then what I did was bound the command ge_node_addline. Bind the command with whatever key that you do not use (ie:  bind p "ge_node_addline")

Once you have it bound go threw the level and start adding the node line. 

Once everything is connected and you are happy with the node placements just type

Ge_node_save.

That's how I do it. It's probably not the best way since it adds a lot of unnecessary nodes. But it gets the job done on  custom levels.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:45:43 am by Peroxwhy?gen »

I SHOOT YOU FUCKING 16 PP7 SHOOTS AND YOU DONT DIE MAN

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 08:43:47 pm »

Awesome... Thanks dude, will give it a go on my days off ;)

markpeterjameslegg

• 00 Agent
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 10:25:08 am »

OK... I now have a fixed version of Grid running with Bots. However... I can only have a maximum of two Bots on the map, would anyone know why?

Oh... And thanks for your help so far... It's been brilliant :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up