GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 19, 2024, 08:08:01 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7 to Windows 8.1?  (Read 9902 times)

TriDefiance

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 78
  • TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!TriDefiance is awe-inspiring!
Windows 7 to Windows 8.1?
« on: April 10, 2014, 09:57:35 pm »

I've been really curious if upgrading from a windows 7 platform to the new windows 8.1 would be a suitable upgrade? It's been something on the back of my mind, but since I have no idea on whether or not it's worth it then I would like to hear from you guys on some insight!

soupcan

• Lead Systems Administrator
  • 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 214
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
Re: Windows 7 to Windows 8.1?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 10:18:12 pm »

There's literally 0 reasons to upgrade. There is DX11.1/.2, but it's not worth the $120 and games likely aren't going to require it until Win7 ends support. You could justify getting 8.x for a new machine (though Win7 is still ideal for a desktop), but it's definitely not worth upgrading from Win7. If MS doesn't backport the upcoming DX12 to Win7, that's a different story.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 10:22:06 pm by soupcan »

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 10:47:58 pm »

Simply, no.

Windows 8 is the Vista of operating systems.
Windows 7 does exactly what needs to be done when you want it to.
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:06:20 pm »

I installed Linux Mint...

www.linuxmint.com

Trent Easton

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 01:15:04 am »

God no....it's got more bugs then bashes diaper.

Enzo.Matrix

• Lead Public Relations
  • Reputation Power: 179
  • Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!Enzo.Matrix is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 01:21:27 am »

As someone who deals with this professionally.  It's my job...

If you have Windows 7, stick with it.
If you are getting a new system and for some dumb reason are stuck with 8.  Make sure you upgrade to 8.1 ASAP.  Then double check all your drivers.
Also make a local account.  You do not have to EVER create a MS account.

As much as I personally hate 8,  8.1 has made it near acceptable.  They just did a patch on Tuesday that makes it more normal for non-touch screen users.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 01:23:56 am by Enzo.Matrix »
GoldenEye: Source Co-Creator
Personal Mission: -Play GE:S with a GE007 N64 Dev (Dr. Doak)
-GE:S reviewed by Yahtzee

Kratos

• Reputation Power: 125
  • Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!Kratos is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 12:12:42 am »

I had two customers with windows 8.0

Repairing the operating system wasn't easy. I couldn't get into fucking safe mode, because they disabled F8.

You have to go through 4-5 steps to boot into safemode.

The settings/control panel is non existent. The start menu is atrocious.

I am staying with Windows 7. 

namajnaG

• Grindcore FM worshipper
  • Reputation Power: 333
  • namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!namajnaG is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 02:34:40 am »

There is a good Windows 7 skin for Windows 8 that can get rid of all the annoyances, and I've heard Win8 has better RAM usage than 7, but nonetheless, I am staying with Win7 because I'm used to it and I don't want to waste time configuring this.

soupcan

• 00 Agent
  • soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!soupcan is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 02:46:02 am »

I hate to be nitpicky, but...

I had two customers with windows 8.0

Repairing the operating system wasn't easy. I couldn't get into fucking safe mode, because they disabled F8.

You have to go through 4-5 steps to boot into safemode.

You're making it sound harder than it has to be. The system can be booted into safe mode through the "Modern" control panel, through MSconfig or by failing to boot 3 times. Any power user using Windows has to at least be aware of msconfig.

The settings/control panel is non existent.

The classic control panel is still there, and can still be easily found with win+x, charms > settings (I know the idea of "charms" on the desktop isn't ideal or easily discoverable; that's not what I'm contesting), or search which still basically functions the same way it has since Vista.

The start menu screen is atrocious.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/04/future-windows-8-1-update-will-finally-bring-back-the-start-menu/

I've heard Win8 has better RAM usage than 7

Eh, realistically it's about the same. The improvements to Win8.1 are mostly going to benefit low-end mobile devices that would stick to the Modern UI anyways.

And to be clear, I'm not justifying an upgrade to 8.x.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:52:34 am by soupcan »

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 09:05:25 am »

Just thought id let people know that they are taking Windows 7 off the market to promote the sale of Windows 8 and 8.1 so make sure that you guys get 7 before September

i still need to get windows 7 from XP.

soupcan

• 00 Agent
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 03:31:14 pm »

Just thought id let people know that they are taking Windows 7 off the market to promote the sale of Windows 8 and 8.1 so make sure that you guys get 7 before September

Win7 Professional will continue to be available for some time, while an end-of-sales date is only planned for the other versions.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Still definitely a good idea to be stocking up on licenses, though.

i still need to get windows 7 from XP.

You should have done that months ago. Now you're just running naked through a minefield by continuing to use an OS older than the average CoD player.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 03:45:34 pm by soupcan »

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 06:10:33 pm »

Eww c'mon just because MS stopped the XP support doesn't mean that the OS cannot be used anymore.
As long as you have FW and AV software that still works with XP and recives updates, it shouldn't be nearly as risky as your minefield methapher.

In fact if there are less ppl using this OS it becomes unattractive for hackers as a target plattform while newer Versions like Win7/8 are becomming more attractive.

Honnestly i don't see a reason why someone who's using an old computer with XP should update the OS unless a seriouse hardware update is made too.

On my PC I've been using Win7 for a while now, but only since i updated my hardware and even before that i used dual boot with XP Pro 32bit and Win7 Pro 64bit.

My laptop on the other hand recived a downgrade from Win8 OEM to Win7 Pro 64bit.
Still using the Win8 RTM theme for it, since i prefer the simplicity of the design.

Maybe, if Win9 will be less focused on Mobile touch devices and combine the best things of 7&8, i might considder an upgrade.

killermonkey

• GES Programmer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 346
  • killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!killermonkey is awe-inspiring!
    • DroidMonkey Apps
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 07:42:16 pm »

Eww c'mon just because MS stopped the XP support doesn't mean that the OS cannot be used anymore.
As long as you have FW and AV software that still works with XP and recives updates, it shouldn't be nearly as risky as your minefield methapher.

Let me put it to you simply: XP is like the heartbleed bug except it will never be fixed.

Everytime you connect an XP machine to the internet you will be attacked. Period, end. of. story. Every website you visit KNOWS you are running Windows XP because your browser tells it so. You are broadcasting this fact on everything you do on the net.

Virus scanners do not prevent remote hacks on the kernel. All they can do is scan files for known signatures.

Excidium

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 11
  • Excidium barely matters.Excidium barely matters.
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 02:53:53 am »

Guess Ill be the odd one out.   I have 8 fresh on a new machine.  They upgraded me to 8.1 for free. Personally I have no issues with it at all, call me lucky. Yes took a min to get used to the new look but Desktop is practically the same as 7 just a few arrangements.  Performance is smooth.  I had 7 Ultimate and benched my rig, then installed 8.1 and benched. 8.1 was slightly higher in bench marks..but nothing to jump out of your seat about.  I guess Im a lucky user of the OS.  I say dont jump for an upgrade from 7 keep it. If your building a new Machine go for it !
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 02:55:56 am by Excidium »

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2014, 11:49:18 am »

not to worry im going down to get windows 7 soon...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 12:22:09 pm by Rick Astley »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up