GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 08:19:38 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Februrary 26, 2008 - Life of a Coder  (Read 9545 times)

Anthony

• GES Plugin Coder
  • Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Anthony has no influence.
Februrary 26, 2008 - Life of a Coder
« on: February 27, 2008, 01:02:57 am »

Hey guys,

My name is Anthony Iacono. I am a programmer. Now, the definition of programming, in my opinion, is to write a set of instructions for execution. I am the type of programmer that doesn't like "Hello World." Sure, you have to start somewhere, but why the hell wouldn't you want to learn about the hardware first? I mean, sure, I can write down "2 + 3 = 5" but I don't think it is smart to just assume it without learning the basics of the base-10 numbering system. Now, you might say, "Base numbering systems and computer hardware are not even needed to do basic operations and writing simple software." Well, you still need to know SOMEWHAT the way these things work. Imagine trying to multiply numbers without knowing that place-digits group in 10s? The same principal applies for writing code. I'll admit, I started with "Hello World." It was a big mistake, I didn't ACTUALLY get good at programming until I learned about the actual low-level operations of a computer. I mean seriously, if you are part of the bomb squad and you are told to cut the blue wire, you want to be able to confirm that with your knowledge before just doing it. Now, I joined the Goldeneye: Source team because I love Goldeneye. Seems pretty simple right? I had no intention of being a lead developer, until I saw the work that had already been done. I first loaded up the source code, and almost cried a little. It wasn't that the coders didn't know what they were doing, they just didn't collaborate well. When I proposed some new ideas, as well as some cool stuff that will be mentioned in a later news post, it started a lot of activity. All the leaders got together and decided that the rest of the coders needed someone like me to lay out what the source engine is and how it is organized. Please don't mistake me for some conceited ass, there is a TON of talents already on the staff, but I have always been the type of person that likes to find ways to reinvent stuff. If I have an idea about design, I will speak my mind. I mean, look at coders like David "BAILOPAN" Anderson, the man is a normal guy, but when he decided to rewrite AMXMod and also create a Source Engine scripting engine, he did. Talk is cheap, it takes a true coder to perform, and our staff has that ability. Anyway, nice to meet you guys.

Your coder,
Anthony Iacono

EduCatOR

• The OG
  • Secret Agent
  • EduCatOR has no influence.
    • The Gravel Pit
Re: Februrary 26, 2008 - Life of a Coder
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 02:59:14 am »

Im glad they got a good programmer on the staff that really likes to get things done. Looking forward to reading future posts about what you guys have going on.

.sh4k3n

• 00 Agent
  • .sh4k3n is looked down upon.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 04:14:53 am »

And... *breathe*

Return key, anyone? :P

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 04:16:05 am »

Damn coders and their crazy codespeak. 
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

Jackred666

• Secret Agent
  • Jackred666 has no influence.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 06:22:16 am »

How good are they being what you are.

Konrad Beerbaum

• Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Konrad Beerbaum has no influence.
    • Konrad Beerbaum Online Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 06:49:08 am »

How good are they being what you are.

huh?
Konrad Beerbaum: Environment Artist
http://www.konradbeerbaum.com

Anthony

• GES Plugin Coder
  • Secret Agent
  • Anthony has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 07:49:42 am »

I'm afraid I have to agree with Konrad, thats a first! (Just fucking with you :P) But yeah, English please.

Mike [fourtecks]

• Disregard KM, acquire death threats.
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 19
  • Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.Mike [fourtecks] is working their way up.
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 03:32:28 pm »

And... *breathe*

Return key, anyone? :P

qft
ge_facility, ge_facility_backzone, ge_control

Doc.NO

• 00 Agent
  • Doc.NO hides in shadows.
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 05:31:06 pm »

printf("Hello world Anthony");

Jeron [SharpSh00tah]

• Level Designer
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • GE:S Fanatic
  • Reputation Power: 53
  • Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.Jeron [SharpSh00tah] has an aura about them.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 07:35:58 pm »

yup, im lost

Complete: Ge_Runway (now under care of CC Saint); Ge_Caverns // W.I.P.:Ge_Streets; Ge_Depot; Ge_Train;
Pages: [1]   Go Up