GoldenEye: Source Forums

• April 25, 2024, 08:53:30 pm
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Terrible hit detection  (Read 6587 times)

Imtnt

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Imtnt has no influence.
Terrible hit detection
« on: December 17, 2013, 07:09:07 am »

No idea if this is just part of the mod or if it is something that I am doing wrong, but the hit detection seems to be absolutely terrible.  Before anyone asks, I did actually test this and am not just raging because I suck.  In my test, I had a friend stand about 1/2 a foot from me in game while I proceeded to unload my P90 into him.  To my utter astonishment, only about 1 out of every 5 bullets actually hit him.  If this is something I am doing wrong then I would ask for a fix if, however this should probably be moved to bugs otherwise.

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
Re: Terrible hit detection
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 10:54:34 am »

I guess you never heared of the invulnerability system this mod uses.

I'll quote a sentence of another Dev who explained it very good IMO:
Quote from: VC
In simple terms, "invuln" is the Goldeneye 007 damage system, and it's like the Super Mario and Mega Man system.  When you get hit you flicker and can't be hurt for a second.  Except no flickering in Goldeneye.

In other words if you just spray with your rapid fire gun, most bullets will simply fail to deal any demage, but if you time your shots right and use single shots or fire in small bursts (depending on weapon) you might bring down your oponent with only a few well aimed shots.

There's also an indicator sound that tells you if your shot actually dealt demage, so better listen carefully.

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 03:23:16 pm »

There's a chance that this system will be moved to a "classic" mode in the next release since it confuses and puts off a lot of people.
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138]

• Secret Agent
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138] barely matters.StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138] barely matters.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 04:50:23 pm »

While I do love certain aspects in the original that haven't been in the mod yet, I wouldn't be against a new type of hit detection, mainly because there'll be times when I hit someone (who probably wasn't in invulnerability) and did no damage, most noticeable when playing LTK and I shoot someone or hit them with slappers/knife and they've got the blood on their face/the wall behind them to prove I hit them....but don't take the damage. :-\
If not removed, it still needs modifying, or like have it turned off in LTK to avoid players not dieing when they should.
Don't ask, Stupid Mario Brothers is a YouTube series that I love to watch, and most likely you probably read my username as "SuperMarioBros1Fan" at some point. Yes I get that question a lot since this isn't the only account with this name. ::)

kraid

• Game Artist
  • Reputation Power: 191
  • kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!kraid is awe-inspiring!
    • my Homepage
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 05:42:52 pm »

What you describe here is a completly different issue related to latency.
Since all blood effects are calculated on the client computer, but hit detection is done by the server, there can be situations like that.
You see blood because your client computer calculated a hit and rendered the effect, but actually your shot/melee attack missed because your input information takes some time to reach the server and the updated positions of other players take also time to reach your computer.

A different demage system wouldn't solve this issue.

• Secret Agent
  • StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138] barely matters.StupidMarioBros1Fan[1138] barely matters.
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 05:46:44 pm »

Ah okay, thanks for telling me this, I thought it was from the hit detection. lol
Don't ask, Stupid Mario Brothers is a YouTube series that I love to watch, and most likely you probably read my username as "SuperMarioBros1Fan" at some point. Yes I get that question a lot since this isn't the only account with this name. ::)

Imtnt

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Imtnt has no influence.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 06:41:36 pm »

Thanks, that's good to know.  I really hope this gets moved to classic mode because it's really annoying  :P.

terps4life90

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 10:34:45 pm »

I really hope this gets moved to classic mode because it's really annoying  :P.

Classic mode WTF ARE U NEWBS TALKING ABOUT? Goldeneye source is as classic as your gonna get, nothing is different between the two, stop the god damn bitching OK?

• Secret Agent
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 04:10:12 pm »

Got a couple of options to why your reply was typed like that, either
A: You're having a bad day
2: You're an asshole
D: Being a bit sarcastic and are not really yelling or frustrated
Please tell me which it is, though I hope you're not being serious about nothing being different between the two since first obviously better graphics, second there's blood splattered on the wall like Perfect Dark, third can play against way more than just three other players, fourth controls are not the same since this is on a keyboard and not a controller (at the moment), fifth there are gameplay differences like not being able to spam with closing & opening the doors and
the cross air always being in the center of the screen and not being able to be moved around (possibly not yet).
Though with my luck you're were just kidding and think I'm taking this too seriously. ::)

terps4life90

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 06:50:03 pm »

Got a couple of options to why your reply was typed like that, either
A: You're having a bad day
2: You're an asshole
D: Being a bit sarcastic and are not really yelling or frustrated
Please tell me which it is, though I hope you're not being serious about nothing being different between the two since first obviously better graphics, second there's blood splattered on the wall like Perfect Dark, third can play against way more than just three other players, fourth controls are not the same since this is on a keyboard and not a controller (at the moment), fifth there are gameplay differences like not being able to spam with closing & opening the doors and
the cross air always being in the center of the screen and not being able to be moved around (possibly not yet).
Though with my luck you're were just kidding and think I'm taking this too seriously. ::)

I guess my sense of humor doesn't slay you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up