GoldenEye: Source Forums

• March 28, 2024, 09:54:07 am
  • Welcome, Guest
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Public Relations  (Read 24322 times)

Happyhippo

• Agent
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Happyhippo has no influence.
Re: Public Relations
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 12:29:39 am »

In game handle? Do you mean my steam account name?

Jonathon [SSL]

• Generalist
  • Retired Lead Developer
  • Reputation Power: 99
  • Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!Jonathon [SSL] is awe-inspiring!
    • Steam Community Page
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 12:32:58 am »

This board isn't an instant messaging client. At the very least, you need to be able to place all your ideas into a single post to start off with rather than a bunch of 1-2 sentence posts in succession.

Also,

To keep this brief I'll just say that my knowledge of the mechanics of the English language is very good.

I'm no grammar Nazi, but I find it ironic there's a grammar error in this sentence (should be "are very good" at the end of the sentence).
Luchador: I NEVER NAME MY FILES IN UPPER CASE
Luchador: I ONLY TALK IN UPPER CASE
[GE:S] killermonkey: GOOD TO KNOW

Happyhippo

• Agent
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 12:34:53 am »

Well done, of course I didn't have time to proofread. To add to that, I'm multitasking. As for my steam account name, it's Deltaechoalphadelta.

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Reputation Power: 87
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 12:36:20 am »

To deal with questions, complaints and issues, you have to know the game inside out, otherwise you won't be able to help anyone.

The PR in GoldenEye Source will be working closely with the developers of this mod. They are seen as apart of the leaders of the team and the community. They must be able to bring people to the mod, inform the community of the latest news and be able to talk to the community as a whole.

I'm sorry to say that your experience with the mod itself wouldn't be sufficient to fulfill this role. You have only just signed up to the forums and I don't think you truly understand the workings of this community just yet. To be a PR, you have to be apart of the community and understand its dynamics.

However, this is just my personal opinion.
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"

Happyhippo

• Agent
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 12:39:21 am »

Maybe so, but believe me, I learn fast. To add to that I know the game surprisingly well. Not the physics or bullet velocity or all that technical mumbo-jumbo, but I know the guns, maps, and characters.

JcFerggy

• JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 12:40:54 am »

I've let this go on long enough. Thanks Emilia, but I'd like to have an official post in for this. The job posting that we put out in August goes as the following.

Public Relations/Video

Good understanding of writing practices, and how Public Relations works.
Be proficient in video production within  Source engine, and skilled in producing polished content.
Minimum 1 year experience in the field; Prefer 2+

Now this is a short listing, but other important skills include web experience (web programming would help), being active in the community, and knowledge of After Effects, Premiere, and/or Photoshop.

Being 15 Years old, I don't know how well you would be at any of these (But I'm not a person to judge). Myself currently I've been around since 2008, have finished my degree in Web Development and I am currently taking Video Game Design. I've worked with most Adobe programs, currently learning how to Map and Model, and I would even say that I'm not fully qualified for PR position.

Most of these things can be taught to a person, but the main thing we need is dedication to the mod. I don't want some shit nosed kid showing up for a few months, then never coming around again. We have been dealing with people like that for years.

If you can provide some samples of your work, we may consider you, but having your first post on the forum be an application, then quadruple and triple posting in your own topic, you are not providing a good example of professionalism (Along with that steam name, "Dead"? Seriously?).

Happyhippo

• Agent
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 12:45:14 am »

Well I can not provide a copy of my work since it's all on paper, either way, thank you for your time. Of course, I would love a trial of some form but who am I to argue with developers. Perhaps in the distant future I can try again. Also, with all due respect, I would really appreciate it if you wouldn't judge me on my age.

JcFerggy

• JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!JcFerggy is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 12:52:10 am »

Well I can not provide a copy of my work since it's all on paper, either way, thank you for your time. Of course, I would love a trial of some form but who am I to argue with developers. Perhaps in the distant future I can try again. Also, with all due respect, I would really appreciate it if you wouldn't judge me on my age.
Regarding the age, its hard not to. You are still in high school, while the rest of the team is either in college or out in the work force. We have experience just from living that you have not gained yet. I'm not outright saying no, but rather that you need to prove that you would be a good choice for the job.

Imagine coming to a work interview interview, and they ask for your portfolio. You are basically saying that you didn't bother to bring one because it was all hand written. It is not very professional and does not give a good judge of your actual skills.

Happyhippo

• Agent
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 12:54:20 am »

I mean theoretically if you were to give me lets say some pretend assignment to test me, along with guidelines for it, I'd gladly take it and have it in by a deadline. I'm quite responsible I assure you.

Rick Astley

• Reputation Power: 174
  • Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!Rick Astley is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 01:01:40 am »

Well I can not provide a copy of my work since it's all on paper

just use a photo scanner and scan the documents

Happyhippo

• Agent
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2012, 01:02:03 am »

A what?

JcFerggy

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 01:02:17 am »

But why. You have not shown me any reason to even give you my time of day.

Here is a task. Play the game for a month. Scan or preferably type up some samples of your work. Come back to this topic, and pitch your application. Provide work of photoshop or some video editing. After a proper application is shown then we will consider you as an applicant.

Happyhippo

• Agent
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 01:05:05 am »

Fair enough.  :-D

Happyhippo

• Agent
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2012, 03:53:39 am »

Can I get a topic, I'm not really good at coming up with something to write unless it's a short story.

Emilia

• 00 Agent
  • Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!Emilia is awe-inspiring!
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2012, 04:21:28 am »

Here is from the official thread on applying for a job with the GoldenEye Team:

So you've reviewed the requirements, and think you would make a good addition to the team.  Great!  In order for your application to be considered, please adhere to the following guidelines and application requirements.  Create a new thread in this forum with a title that includes the position you are applying for. In your thread please include the following information:

-Position applied for
-Relevant Experience
-Programs used
-Email
-MSN\AIM

In addition to the requested information, you MUST include sample work for all Art, Sound, and Design applications. Your application will not be accepted unless you include a decent amount of work that reflects your skills for the position you are applying for.  Your work should be high quality, in a finished state, and relevant to the position you are applying for.  Part of what we look for is the ability to finish projects, so WIP work will not help you unless it is able to stand on its own merits. 

If possible, please display images within the thread itself, and provide direct links to all other work. Cite all things relevant to the work (programs used, wireframes if needed, etc).  If other people were involved in the creation of the work, be sure to state exactly which parts are your work.   

Please treat your application seriously, and use proper punctuation and grammar to the best of your ability.

After you post an application your work will be reviewed by the current development team.  You will most likely receive a good amount of comments, critiques, and questions from all areas of the dev team.  The dept lead for the position you are applying for will review your application, and make the final decision on whether to move your application to trial status.

Once you have received the go-ahead from the dept lead, your account will be upgraded to trial status, and you will be able to view the trial member forum.  Review the trial guidelines that are posted in the trial forum, and create a new post requesting a trial.  The dept lead will post a trial project for you to complete, and if you are able to complete the trial to the satisfaction of the dev team, you will green-lit by the department lead and managers, then brought on as a full developer. 

Follow this to the TEE and then the developers will look at this officially!
PS: Follow JcFerggy's advice.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 04:23:01 am by Emilia »
MaJoR: "This is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo getting to be awesome"
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up